New Jersey Hunters banner

What Crossbow Are You Shooting?

4K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  Excalibur 
#1 ·
Just wondering what is the crossbow of choice of my fellow crossbow hunters in NJ? I'm currently shooting an Excalibur Exocet 200(recurve). The recurve is a little wide but love the feel & accuracy! I am thinking about trading a rifle and picking up a Tenpoint compound. These things are just fun to shoot! Let's hear what you have!

#2 ·
I am using a 2008 Excalibur Equinox with the "Right Stuff" package. Also picked up the semi-rigid case for it made by Excalibur. Cases are hard to find for recurve xbows and that one worked great. Very accurate, dead on 20 yards after setting it up and didn't even have to touch the scope adjustments. The supplied DVD was a great addition that came with to set it all up. [up] [up]

#3 ·
also shooting a excaliber exocet, They are fun to shoot. I've been tinkering making my own arrows, and I've made some that come in at 435 grains with a foc of 19%, they shoot great, but I still have to chrono them to see what speed I'm getting.

#4 ·
Hiking...I use a Groundpounder quiver holder. It mounts the quiver directly over top of the rail. This makes for easy carrying of your bow with a sling and the balance is great!! The best $33 I ever spent. My arrows are carbon GT's made by a fellow in Ohio with the brass inserts. They are nicknamed "Miller's Killers" on some sites!:D

#5 ·
i have an excal exomax. it's the same as the equinox except with a regular stock. it shoots great but it is wide. i may buy a compound too, probably one of the stryker models.

#7 ·
I don't know how I got the picture up with no comment, but anyway there is a picture of some arrows I made up. goldtip lazer 2's,110gr brass insert, 2inch twister vanes, aluminum nock, and a coustom wrap. they come in at 435grs with a 125gr broadhead (slick trick) with a foc at 19%. I haven't chronoed them yet, but I will let you know when I do.

#11 ·
1 doz. gold tip laser 2 bare shafts $44.oo
1 doz. 110 grain brass inserts 11.00
1 doz. flat aluminum nocks 6.00
vanes 2in. twisters or blazers 8.00
so about $70.00 a dozen, they have a site were you can design your own wraps, and they are about 15.00 a dozen. You can buy them ready made for almost that price, but it's fun building your own and getting what you want. the arrow builders must buy in bulk and get shafts a lot cheaper?

#13 ·
also shooting a excaliber exocet, They are fun to shoot. I've been tinkering making my own arrows, and I've made some that come in at 435 grains with a foc of 19%, they shoot great, but I still have to chrono them to see what speed I'm getting.
I have a friend that shoots the Exocet 200, 550 grain bolts (he uses a 150 grain broadhead, I don't remember the name of it) and he says he got 350 fps out of it. I've watched him kill two does at 68 and 71 yards, and he took a 135 inch ten point at 72 yards this year.

You should do good with that set up, but seeing things like that are why I don't think they should be in archery season.

#14 ·
I have a friend that shoots the Exocet 200, 550 grain bolts (he uses a 150 grain broadhead, I don't remember the name of it) and he says he got 350 fps out of it. I've watched him kill two does at 68 and 71 yards, and he took a 135 inch ten point at 72 yards this year.
Hummmm...That's VERY interesting. On the Excal website the published velocity for a 2009 Exocet using a custom Flemish string shooting a 400gr arrow comes in at 350 fps! So your "friend" is shooting a 150gr heavier arrow and achiving the same velocities! He should contact Excalbur and share his extream velocity secret's. I'm sure thay would appreciate his input because they are unable to achive those velocities at the factory. This may be a crossbow breakthru!

#15 ·
I am shooting an Exocet 200 also with a FFF string. Just to give you a little perspective I'm shooting a Slick Trick 100gr 1 1/8" diameter with GT Carbons, with a brass insert at around 426 gr w/ that combo they come off the rail at about 310-315 fps.

#16 ·
That's VERY interesting. On the Excal website the published velocity for a 2009 Exocet using a custom Flemish string shooting a 400gr arrow comes in at 350 fps! So your "friend" is shooting a 150gr heavier arrow and achiving the same velocities!
That's funny, I got a note from someone else who says the max speed for that crossbow is 330 fps, so who is right?

Truth be told, I was just relating what was told to me about the speed. Maybe he stretched it a little like others do when talking about speed, but I know what I saw.

#18 ·
Actually a Compound with equal Velocity will shoot further than a CrossBOW due to it's heavier arrow....And retain more Kenetic energy.
This statement was made in an earlier post bt the president of the UXBNJ. After reading some of the posts under this subject, this quote doesn't seem to hold much water.
For example a 30 inch CX 350 Maxima with blazer vanes and a 100 gr broad head weighs approximately 405 gr.

#20 ·
Divert people away for this forum with constant attacks. This will hopefully change in time. Why would people do this to fellow hunters? This is not just in NJ. This is a ploy by anti's everywhere. All you can hope for is the forum Mod's to see thru the smoke screen and step up!

#21 ·
Quote:
Actually a Compound with equal Velocity will shoot further than a CrossBOW due to it's heavier arrow....And retain more Kenetic energy.

This statement was made in an earlier post bt the president of the UXBNJ. After reading some of the posts under this subject, this quote doesn't seem to hold much water.
For example a 30 inch CX 350 Maxima with blazer vanes and a 100 gr broad head weighs approximately 405 gr.
topneck, if you want to debate velocity and kinetic engery between a crossbow and a compound bow, then I suggest you start another thread to do so.
That's what forums are for, intellegent and cool headed debates on such matters with facts and data.
We all learn from this type of info.

This thread is about what crossbow you are shooting this year, so let's keep it on track.

Thanks guys. [up]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.