New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad has been thinning out his collection and he just gave me a mossberg 410 bolt action 183D. The gun is beautiful but I dont know much about it and never shot it. Its been in his safe for about 30 years. My question is, what if anything can I hunt with it in NJ? I know its small game, but is it legal for turkey? Ive never hunted for turkey but was thinking of trying it this year.

Anyone know anything about this gun? All I know is it can take 2.5"-3" shells and it hold 3 shells. Other then that I dont know anything at all about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You can use 3 inch shells with #4 shot for rabbits ,Pheasant, squirrels and chuckards. Thats what my hunting partner uses.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Thats an old gun. I'd say in close (20-30 yds) you should be able to take a turkey no problem. Same for pheasant, chukar, quail, woodcock, rabbits (but you'd better be a good shot for these!) ;)

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
pretty much for small game. grouse, rabbits, squirrels etc. i know they do make slugs for the .410 just not sure if its legal for deer hunting or not anywhere else, at least in nj it isnt. [down]

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Taken from the digest turkey regulation #8...No shotgun larger than 10 gauge or smaller than 20 gauge may be used.

Technically you can use it on any small game that is legal to take with a 410. That being said and the shotgun being a bolt action I would stick to game that does not fly.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont do any small game like rabbit or squirel. But have been thinking about trying turkey this season. I do have a few 12 gauges but figured this is a nice light gun that Id try it if legal. Yes it looks pretty old but its in beautiful condition. My dad got it from his uncle but my dad never shot it. He collected guns for years and when he saw it he brought it up for me. Looks like a nice gun for my son to play with at the range. Shouldnt have near the kick of a 12 gauge.

All I do is bow hunt. I own some guns but only use my bow for hunting. Well I did shoot a doe with my muzzy last year but thats the only deer I have ever shot with a gun.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Looks like a nice gun for my son to play with at the range.
Not sure how old your son is, but a .410 is a nice gun for kids to learn shooting and gun safety with. Usually very light to carry and easy to control with little kick. A really good gun for kids to learn with...[up]

·
Registered
334 Posts
The only problem with a .410 for kids is that it can be discouraging. Since the pellet count is so low, they have trouble hitting clays with any regularity.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I've shot squirrels,rabbits and pheasant, my son got some pheasants. Mine was a single shot H&R. I believe yours is a repeater which will give you a follow up shot once you get accuainted with it.. I prefered no 5 shot but have 4's and 6's. Keep the shots under 35 yds, most of mine were 25-30. Don't want to shoot em to close as it's probably a full choke. Good luck, pick your shots and have fun.[up]

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Like said above .410 is a expert's gun...
Small thin wad column, not very easy to hit with.
Best gun for youth is a single shot 20 or 12.
My son learned with a youth model 20 ga.
In one season he was ready to move up to the 12ga.
I was taught by my Dad with a pump 12 from day one, about fourteen and not very big.
It's all about proper shooting form...[up]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks alot for the info. I guess Ill just keep it in the safe.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My very first shot gun was a mossberg bolt action .410 great gun - took my test with it when I was 11 also given to me by my dad used it for all pheasant mostly also rabbit and squirel I learned all about proper gun maint and care I re blued it myself when I was 13 and next year my son is going to take his test with it when he is 11 it is an old gun but still my all time favorite fun at the range too

1 - 16 of 16 Posts