New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to see NJ change over to PA's deer check in system. In PA you get a tag that you mail in to F&G. No running around trying to find an open check in station. Tag your deer, fill out the post card, and mail it in.

I understand there would be a logistics problem with multiple doe tags but that could be worked out somehow. I usually check deer in at either Simon Peters in Andover or County Line Sports in Hackettstown. Forget Simon Peters after 6:00pm and who knows when County Line will decide to open?

There must be a better way!

What do you think?

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i like it better then the way it is now. but i usually don't have a problem with checking in my deer. i usually use the Lakeside Deli on 31 north.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I like the check stations... except that I wish some check stations would "check" more. For example, "Hey buddy...your "doe" has 3 inch spikes... surrender your buck tag or else I am calling a CO."

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
NY has that mail in business with a phone call. How many un-ethical hunters don't bother. A butcher or taxidermist has no way of knowing if the hunter actually reported the deer.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I, too, like it the way it is...

It keeps everyone honest, and is the best way to properly obtain/manage data for future quotas and scientific based management of the deer in zone specific areas.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
There are more now than ever but there should be reasonable hours to check your deer. Some places close early on Saturdays.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
I like it the way it is, but would like a larger window for checking deer in so you don't have to rush or get into panic mode in fear of getting ticketed. Like a 48 hour check-in window or something.

Granted, many of us have planned out the potential time periods (day or night) where we can find an open check-in station, but the whole phone in and leave a message deal seems a bit cumbersome.

Also the fact that we can't hunt Sundays always leaves me in confusion when shooting a deer on Saturday afternoons/evenings. Yeah you can check them in on Sunday, but say you need to take a follow-up shot on Sunday morning while tracking down? You can't carry a loaded weapon as it's considered hunting...so...hrm, I guess you better hope the deer is down for good cuz there isn't much you can do if it isn't. Fortunately I've never been in this situation, but always wondered what I would do if I was. Hey, you can always wait until Monday! [confused]

G

·
I like the way NJ does it, but I do see some places closed during the hours of checking in deer. So if they want to be a check station then they should have to be open

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Someplaces do close early! You call the game commission, tell them what you did, the check station is closed you go by the next day with the hide and check it in. I like the check stations. I also think the game commission and its CO's are doing a damn fine job.

G

·
one check in stationb near my house is closed on MONDAYS, granted where I hunt I have the HAINSVILLE GENERAL STORE near me

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I have no problem with the checking stations I try to keep a list as to the ones colsest to where I hunt so as to get it done. if I miss the window I call it in and check it the next day no biggy. Where I take my deer to be cut has a check station to so I'll just check there if I'm to late at the other spots.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I like the check stations as well, but also have a problem with them closing early. Especially during early bow. It can be easily 9 pm by the time you get your deer out of the woods when it does not get dark until 7:30. And with the high temps during early bow, those ck stations need to be open latter.

-dan

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I don't like Pa's way.... Too much room to be dishonest...Keep it the way it is!
agreed

one check in stationb near my house is closed on MONDAYS
I hate that. I just call in and check it the next day or go to another one if I plan to hunt again the next morning.

Leave it the way it is.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I like the check in stations because it keeps people honest. I wish they would stay open a little later.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
My only complaint is the hours some stations are open. I can however understand a shop closing early. It does cost money to run a business.

I don't expect it to change.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I like ky they give you tags with your license, but once you shoot a deer or turkey you must call an automated number and they give you a tag number that you must fill in on your tag and affix it to the game.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I don't mind the way they have it now. There's only 2 things I would change.

1) Any/all check stations are BAD certified. Otherwise, the closest one to the area I hunt is like 30-40 minutes away.
2) I think all check stations should be required to have a scale to weigh the deer in the event the hunter wishes to have it done.

David

1 - 20 of 54 Posts