New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the hunters out there with children at what age do you get them out shooting the bow? And what equipment do you use?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I was shooting around the age of 10 or 12, my first bow was a Martin compound, not sure the model, or weight though. Every bow company out there makes kids compounds, so if you have a preference in what you shoot, do the same with your kid. good luck

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My sons only 3 1/2 but I saw people on here saying kids been shooting since 5 and was wondering what kind of setup they use at 5?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
When i was younger than 10 i was shooting a breakdown bow, no sights or anything, just to shoot for fun with my father.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
funny this topic came up i just took my son to targeteers on sunday to get him his first bow its a browning, and he is 8.[up]

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
My son started at 3 1/2 with a kids bow just to get the understanding of it. He now has a childrens compound. He shoots well for his age (6) My stepson is just now getting into it and I need to get him a kids bow.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
My kids were shooting since they could walk. Nerf bows and arrows, tiny stickbows, small recurves, 10lb compounds, Genesis bows, 30-40lb bows (good for first year of hunting) then the "real stuff"

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when you say kids bow, what do you mean? Like the plastic traditiional looking bow like they sell at cabelas?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I got my son one of those bows at BPS that shoots the foam yellow balls. I got him that this past Christmas, he was only 2-1/2 years old then. Needless to say, I just ordered another one, because the rubber band on the first one got so worn out from him shooting it so much, that it snapped on him. Man did the tears come a flowin when that happened.(I guess that's a good thing when I think about it!) I tried to fix it myself, but it was NG, so I got him another one.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I was introduced when I was about 8 with a 15lb fibergl [no swearing please] recurve. Thing was taller than me!

My brother took it away from me when the neighbors saw me squirrel hunting with it! ;)

Sad - I didn't seriously get back into archery until a few years ago.:(

Keep it locked up from little hands and let them use it only with you present.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
I started at 12 with a 60-70 lb compound.Nobody in the family hunted or shot so I taught myself.
My son shot at 6 with a small kids indian compound and my daughter shot at 8 with a genesis bow.She's not realy into shooting it so she gave it to my son.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I don't have kids, but I do know any age is the best age to start shooting. Get one of those toy bows to start with and work his/her way up to a bigger and better bow. Also never push a kid to do hunt or shoot, let them find out how much fun it is.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
MY sons 4 1/2 and I bought him a small cheap recurve just to learn how to pull it back. As far as guns go I alreadt had him shoot a 22cal rifle byhimself and my very first single shot 20 gauge. I was helping him hold it I had the butt of the gun on my thigh, but he pulled the trigger. The earlier the better I say.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
My son is only 6 months and I am looking forward to the day he wants to start shooting. When mom is out we watch hunting videos instead of Jay Jay the Jet plane.

When the cats away, the mice will play. Thats too funny! :D[up]:D[up]

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
The funny thing is she came up with the idea of doing his bedroom woodlands camo.

[up]

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Start 'em young - 4 - 5 years old is a great time !!![up][up][up]

After a few well placed shots are obtained on the round colored paper targets by the lil' one, try using a paper deer target glued to a large piece of high density Styrofoam to let the little one "feel the thrill" of shooting at a deer instead of a plain ol' target.

They're usually hooked after that!!! [up][up][up]

Check these out:

http://www.kidbow.com/site_map.htm

http://www.kidbow.com/archery_kits.htm

My lil' "buddy" is climbing the walls to hunt his first live deer, and he is only 4 1/2 years old!!!!

Gonna get him started with the bow soon, as he has earned the right to get a bow, having shown great responsibility in caring for his fishing tackle, and by looking back before every cast so he doesn't hook anyone like someone else we know on this website!!! (aka IMB21, the Happy "Hooker" !!!!.:D)

Sorry, but I HAD to go there!!!! :p[smirk]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts