New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to hijack bowhunter's thread about which peep to use, so here's a new one...

My bow was given to me with a peep sight AND a kisser button on it. My question is, if I am using the kisser as a fixed rear anchor point and pins in front, can I get rid of the peep sight? Do I really need it? It sometimes gets funky looking and messes up my sight line if the string twists. I'd like to get rid of it if I can.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I shoot a kisser and a peep, b/c it gives me two solid rear anchor points. However if you can shoot with just a kisser, it's better for hunting b/c you don't lose that last 10 minutes of daylight, cause you can't see through the peep!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The kisser and peep work together to give you the best shot consistency possible. The peep give you a consistent anchor point. The peep makes sure you are aiming at the same point on the string every time - not a little higher or lower than the last shot. So in my opinion, you should keep both.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
I've hunted for years without a peep and was fine. A few years ago for some reason my shooting consistency started to suffer and I installed a peep. It helped my accuracy but in hunting situations I felt the peep to be hard to work with. I installed a no-peep and it solved all my problems.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Alot of guys dont like them, but I use a hind sight, larger sight area, better in low light and pretty damn accurate once you get used to it. took a few shots, and damn near through it away a few times. but glad I stuck with it. I still use a kisser with it.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
i shoot with a peep and a kisser button i like both to point to make sure i am where i gotta be

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
If you can shoot consistent without a peep do it. A peep is not a "HUNTERS" friend, in lowlight conditions.
Sure you will be robin hood in your backyard 3 o'clock in the after noon but see how good you are in the woods last or first light, 20 ft. up, deer blending in perfectly to the ground fiber optics glare right in the center of your peep. You will have more bad shots or misses with it than without it.

Far to many "HUNTERS" confuse themselves with target/3D shooters. You need to make a hunting rig as simple and user friendly as possible.

If you use a peep with a 1/4 in hole your fooling yourself, twist your riser or move the string so the pin moves from side to side on the I.D. of the peep. You can move quite a bit and still be within the confines of the peep.

But if it makes you feel comfortable and secure with your shot than go for it. That is what its all about.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
A peep is not a "HUNTERS" friend, in low light conditions.
Shooting with both eyes open with a peep really helps in low light. If the target doesn't show up then you are hunting after legal shooting time. Need to practice in all conditions of light to see what works for you.

A peep can be blinding in sunlight under the right conditions, also.

·
Registered
705 Posts
A peep sight will usualy make you more accurate and consistant.With a large one I have had no problems in legal low light situations. I've killed lots of deer both ways but I like a peep better because when a big buck shows and I get excited I shoot better with it.Its no big deal to put one on and off,try it both ways practicing in low light and see which way you prefer.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have never liked peeps for a number of reasons, rain or dew fills the hole at the moment of truth, you never have enough light and so on. I have used a hind sight but found ajustment to be a problem at times. The no-peep works well as it gathers light and stay as brite as your pins and once you have it set up its pretty fool proof. You can shoot consistantly with out a rear sight if you double anchor( kisser button in the corner of the mouth and string touching the tip of the nose) What ever method you go with you need to practice enough to make second nature.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Shooting with both eyes open
This is the key to accuracy with a peep site. As for those who complain that a peep limits huntable time because of low light conditions, a peep site(tube aligned) with a larger appeture will resolve this issue. If it gets to dark to shoot with a larger peep, and both eyes open, its just to dark to shoot!

Using a larger peep site requires a matching front site. The variety of front site with a round cage that is covered in flourecent backing is best. In using the combo, center the round flourecent circle of the site cage inside the dark circle of the peep, with the site pins in the middle, and the site level-well, level. This will give you the best site alignment in shooting.

As for an anchor point, the kisser button is only 1 point-To be readily consistant, you should use at least 3 points of anchor. Try shooting with some charcol on your string--draw, and come to anchor, aim, and release. Then go inside and look in a mirror at the configuartion of charcol on your face. If your like me, there will be a spot on your nose, and a line along your jaw.

When I shoot, I know place the kisser button at the corner of my mouth, and ensure that I'm positioned with the bow string touching that spot on my nose, and the line along my jaw giving me 3 solid points of anchor for consistant shooting accuracy.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Practice makes perfect, I don't use a kisser button but I do use a peep sight. I use the same anchoring point and I also use a lighted pin for those critical moments when we are losing light. I do practice quite a bit and its worked out pretty well. Good luck[up]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.