New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished dinner and I must say, while it was a simple one, it was fantastic. Here's what I had:

Venison Steak - grilled medium rare
Side of Mexican rice
Cucumber salad

Damn that was tasty!
David

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys if I made you all drool all over your keyboards. BTW, is it just me or is this following story weird?

I was talking to a woman I work with and was talking about venison/hunting; her husband used to hunt. In any case, I had just described that I had butchered my deer up and described what I made from it. She responded by saying that any/all of her husband's deer were all processed in the same manner. The entire deer was made into chopped venison. I mean, all of the best parts straps, roasts...etc, went and became chopped meat.

I was floored. Is this just me?

David

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I had steak, Cajun catfish,corn and fried spinach with onions,garlic and a little bit of parmesan cheese in it...ummm that was good.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Tonight after getting out of my tree, I'll be coming home to Broiled Elk steaks marinated in Italian dressing wrapped in bacon, BBQ shrimp Kbob, baked potatoe, and corn on the cob ( vacuumed sealed fresh out of my fields )
I'll probably drool all over myself in the tree just thinking about it :D

PS: These Elk steaks are 1 1/2 " thick and tender as fillet mignon !!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
She responded by saying that any/all of her husband's deer were all processed in the same manner. The entire deer was made into chopped venison. I mean, all of the best parts straps, roasts...etc, went and became chopped meat.

I was floored. Is this just me?
We used to cube a lot of the 'good parts' for simple dishes. It was easier to store or make sausage/patties. The straps and tenderloins were usually saved right away.

I can see some of the old timers not bothering with icing the kill. A lot of times it was just field dress, check it, and off to the butcher - usually the deer was strapped to the hood or roof of the car on its way to each point.
Or if you hunted in the mountains or deep in the pines - you were not gonna hump a cooler full of ice to your stand location.

I imagine engine fumes didn't make for good seasoning.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts