New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start scouting out an area to hunt next year and track it through the year. I have chosen Wharton because of its proximity to the house and it's spaciousness. Question is I want to get as far away from the less adventuresome hunters and into the thick stuff as I can. How many miles at a minimum do you think I will have to hike in to get where I want to be? Also being new to this I have been hearing of parking areas to jump off from. Is that how it works or can you just turn off the road and get to it?

B

·
0 Posts
I would go a minium of 1 mile in, most guys dont care to walk that far

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don't know where that is but I am guessing from how far these little get togethers have been from me it ain't close! lol

Browning 10ga that is near the Phili line right. about 30 minutes or so west of me?

·
Registered
173 Posts
i hunted alot by the atco race track, there's some places on the other side of RT 9 around atsin lake, you can walk for miles! and not see anyone back there, check out a topo map! bring a gps & compas

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Are you talking about Wharton NJ in Morris County or Wharton Tract SF in South Jersey. I think the latter because there are no spacious tracts in Wharton NJ. However, there is some good hunting on small tracts of private land there.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
LOL

You guys are talking about Wharton State Forest... LOL.. I thought you were talking about Wharton, NJ!!! LOL...
Me too. There is a no discahrge of firearms law in The Town of Wharton..
I thought to myself that its pretty brave to hunt a town that you are not allowed to hunt in and announce it on the internet.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have been hunting the wharton for yrs if you walk for miles you end up at a road or a fire cut near the road.There is some thick stuff off of 206.And there are some good spots down by batstow that could be a hike, maple island is pretty thick.There is also a place by batstow called the natural area where you have to walk in because no vehicles are allowed.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Online Posts: 456
Are you talking about Wharton NJ in Morris County or Wharton Tract SF in South Jersey. I think the latter because there are no spacious tracts in Wharton NJ. However, there is some good hunting on small tracts of private land there.

Duh...I guess I should have read the headline of the original post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts