New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will sell you my sheild , nt fish and game though.
comes with nice leather case and ALOT OF HEADACHES
..i'am actually kinda surprised ebay allows this kind of law enforcement items to be sold .

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I'm wondering if its legal to own?? any CO's on the site can you chime in on this?

I'm interested in buying it to add to NJ hunting/fishing collection if its legal to own

·
Registered
501 Posts
It is Illegal to sell those badges on ebay , Dont be surprised if you were out bid by Fish and Game themselves ... Agencies monitor ebay all the time for this type of stuff. I will be easy to track because of the badge number clearly on the bottom

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
I'm wondering if its legal to own?? any CO's on the site can you chime in on this?
Yes, it is legal for a civilian to be in possession of an authentic law enforcement badge in the State of NJ, with some very important qualifiers. Those qualifiers being that the badge style is not presently used by, nor has it been used in the past 5 years by the agency it represents, and the badge can not be used or dispalyed in any way so as to give the false impression that the possessor is a law enforcement officer.

In short, if this style badge is not currently used, and has not been used during the preceeding 5 years from date of sale, by the NJ Division of Fish, Game & Wildlife, it is legal to be possessed by a civilian for the purpose of collecting only (don't carry it around in your wallet).

read on for the statute reference ...

2C:21-2.2. Ban on police badge transfers

It shall be a disorderly persons offense to:

a. Sell a law enforcement agency badge, the prescribed form of which is presently in use or has been in use in New Jersey during any of the five years preceding the sale, to a person other than a member of a law enforcement agency who presents a letter authorizing the purchase, signed by the commanding officer of that law enforcement agency;

b. Purchase a law enforcement agency badge, described in subsection a. of this section, unless the purchaser is a member of a law enforcement agency who presents a letter authorizing the purchase, signed by the commanding officer of that law enforcement agency; or

c. Give or lend a law enforcement agency badge described in subsection a. of this section, unless the person to whom a badge was given or loaned is a member of a law enforcement agency who presents a letter authorizing the transfer, signed by the commanding officer of that law enforcement agency.

L. 1987, c. 29, s. 1.
http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/2c-the-new-jersey-code-of-criminal-justice/21-2.2.html

i'am actually kinda surprised ebay allows this kind of law enforcement items to be sold
eBay's rules on the sale of police badges is pretty clear as well.

Badges from state, county, or other municipal law enforcement agencies require both of the following requirements:

(1) The issuing law enforcement organization has authorized in writing that the item can be sold.

and

(2) A copy of the authorization letter with the law enforcement contact (name and phone number) is included in the listing.

Without this doccumentation, eBay rules would prohibit the listing/sale of this particular item.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/police.html

·
Registered
59 Posts
A couple of guys that retired called the company that makes our badges and requested a "retired" badge only to find out that the company calls the bureau and checks on their status before making the badge... all hell broke loose from the top down and they got in deep shit. If retired guys arent allowed to be in posession of a real badge/fake badge/retired badge ... i can guarantee you that joe blow will get his ass handed to him if he tries to pass it off as real.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
f retired guys arent allowed to be in posession of a real badge/fake badge/retired badge
My place gives you a "retired" badge.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They give out retired ones at my place too but it isn't a full size shield or it is at least slightly different from our regular badge. They wanted one to fit their wallets with the same layout as our current badge and it was a pretty sizeable shit storm.

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
My bro in law carries his retirement badge. I gotta say it has saved our ass a few times [hihi]

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I saw a shoprite cashier with a name badge on today..... he was so cool

1 - 20 of 28 Posts