New Jersey Hunters banner

401 - 420 of 456 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm in Jersey City and basically brand new to hunting. I've been invited on 2 spring turkey hunts in GA, but I'm looking to really get into hunting on my own. With the seasons ending I wanted to spend the next few months getting equipment, doing research and planning 2019 hunts. Any information about necessary equipment to get or great public lands nearby to hunt would be greatly appreciated. Really any insight would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Good luck on your journey Rob Delaware Water Gap be clean be safe be respectful good luck

Reactions: OutdoorRob

·
Registered
840 Posts
There is alot of great info on the web of course, as well as magazines ,books but getting out there and scouting and practicing what you have researched is key !
My brother started me hunting but it wasnt until I got older and tried things on my own I think was the best way to learn. I can remember reading OUTDOOR LIFE over and over as a kid and couldnt wait to start driving and looking at what NJ had to offer for hunting spots , NJ is alot different now thats for sure ! There are alot of outdoor shows and clubs to meet people and get more info as well . I wish I had more time to help young or new hunters ,but time in the woods and lakes dosent come along as often these days . I wish you luck and look forward to seeing your posts with your harvest .BR

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks a lot. Yeah unfortunately I don't own a car so making more frequent trips to scout areas isn't possible, but I'm going to spend a lot of time mapping out areas for spots.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new not only on this site but also in this area. I will be glad if you share useful tips. I want to speed up my education thanks to the guides on this site. Now I use the help of professional writers on the essay writing service PapersOwl. It helps me have more free time. I play college football team. I spend a lot of time training and I don’t have too much time for homework.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone, I have been camping since I was a kid in the boy scouts. I am an eagle scout. I really enjoy cooking fresh food and that has led me to an interest in catching, killing and prepping local resources for my own. I hear the quality of the food is superior to anything in the food store! I caught my own brown trout this spring 2019, gutted it and cooked it on my skillet. SO YUMMY! I am completely new to the hunting and fishing lifestyle. This ignorance provides me with a completely open mind. I am down to try big game, small game, fish, etc. If its legal to kill and cook, I wanna try it. My ignorance is a double edge sword as my only knowledge for hunting and fishing comes from books or the internet. No idea where to begin.

Would anyone be my mentor? I am prepared to get my own gear provided you can tell me what I need. I want to be an independent hunter in time.

I am open to sharing meat I catch in exchange for the skills you teach me. If you can help me bring down a deer, you can have some back strips!
Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Morning All!

I am new to the site so posting my story here to introduce myself. Lifelong NJ resident...well, except for the two year California experiment my parents forced on me at 8 years old. I started hunting at 20 years old, I'm 50 now, so I've been at it a while. I have triplet boys, yes you read that right triplets, they turned 13 last March and one is taking his firearm hunting test next Sunday up at Pequest and is really excited. Maybe, and I stress maybe more excited than I am. I swear this kid was born in the wrong era. Not really into video games and loves everything outdoors. He would rather be riding his bike and playing with his friends outside. His brothers probably would not get off the couch if I didn't turn the internet off. We all like fishing though, freshwater, ocean, you name it. I guess I should mention the wife here as well since we've been married 22 years. She likes fishing but not into hunting. We've been living in Roxbury since 2000 so I've hunted all over northern NJ. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks!!

I My son is chomping at the bit to go so I'm pretty sure he's going to be ready. I actually took him and his brother up to Flatbrook a couple of weeks ago to shoot some clay birds. I wanted my son who is taking the test to get a feel for the 20 gauge mossberg his uncle gave him. Neither one of them hit anything but it was more about how to handler it safely etc...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Everyone! I am a new member here, born and raised in NJ. I was introduced to hunting by my stepfather when I was around 10yrs old and its been my passion ever since. I raised my hunting buddy (my 17 year old son) and can rarely be seen with out him. I Love to BowHunt Deer (I shoot a Bowtech) and usually shoot between 4-6 a year for the Freezer, I am also a avid Waterfowl Hunter and pheasant hunter, Ill hunt anything in season but my rule is you shoot it you eat it, there is nothing better then providing your family with Organic food for the table (no hormones, antibiotics fed to animals etc). I like talking about hunting and like teaching friends and family ethical hunting methods. I use instagram as my Hunting and outdoors page instagram.com/newjersey_hunter well thats just a little about me. Hope every one is off to a great start to the hunting season! Have a great night!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm a new member from Stanhope (Sussex Co.) who is just get into hunting. I've fished all my life and currently am the president of the Ohio State Bass Fishing Team, but the friends I've made through my time at OSU are slowly getting me into hunting now as well. Looking forward to using this page as a resource to gain some knowledge on waterfowl hunting, and hoping to get out this duck season on public land during my winter break when I'll be home from classes. Any insights as to local areas specifically in Sussex county that I should invest time in scouting would be much appreciated, but completely understand if that's top-secret information haha. Hopefully I'll get to hunt a few days in Ohio too, as I cannot understate how inexperienced at waterfowl hunting I am and at this stage would love to just get out as much as I can to learn as much as I can.

·
Registered
25 Posts
43 years old.. been hunting since I was 9 got my license when I was to.. grandfather and uncle got me started In it.. i fell in love ..i love being outside even if i don't see anything.. love to ride ATV's.. fishing..camping.. haven't been out hunting in about 4 years.. hope this year will be good to be.. good luck this year everybody be save

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member from Brielle. I fish, pheasant hunt, and just started bow hunting deer. I'm Currently looking for a butcher in my area for processing a deer, any help would be appreciated.

401 - 420 of 456 Posts