New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Matty shot a doe this morning. I helped him find the deer. Last I saw him he was still dragging the deer out of the woods (I had to get to work... I helped a little) sweating his butt off.

He had to carry his bow, quiver, back pack (all kinds of crazy crap in there), climber, and drag the freaking deer.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Way to help a buddy out kris.Did he give you the fake injuy/illness to get you to help him.I can see it now.

Matty: " Oh my back. Oh my leg, I think my spastic colon is acting up!! Some one please help me,oh lordy lord". :D

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
That has to be one of the furthest drags Ive ever done. I feel like I was run over by a bus. I actually started getting spasms in my right hamstring right after you left Kris. I dragged her another 250 yards and ditched her in some weeds about 150 yds from the truck. Dropped off all my gear and went back in for her.

I really didnt want to shoot the doe, because I was really in it for a buck, but she was about to blow the whole hunt. She came up and sniffed my flash light, sniffed the tree I was in, and then went on alert. She started side stepping away from the tree and seemed like she was ready to take off. There was another one bedded right below me looking at me, so I figured screw this, rather than have these two deer blow out of here snorting and stomping, I'll make the best of it and take the bigger doe. I drew back in super slow motion, waited till everything was perfect and thats it.....

I shot the deer at about 7:30. I didnt want to ruin Kris's hunt, so I waited in my tree till about 8:15, hiked down the hill to tell Kris, went back up, found the deer within about 10 minutes with Kris's help. She was maybe 70 yards from the shot. Perfect quartering away shot at about 10 yards.

Started dragging the deer around 9:30, and didnt get out of the woods till about 11:00. If that drag wasnt every inch of a mile, I'd sh-t!

On my hanging scale she went about 100-105# dressed.
Oh and thanks for remembering your camera Kris, why else do you think I bring you?:p:D

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
100# doe, and youre complaining about a long drag? you should have just thrown her in one of your cargo pockets and walked out with her... Sissy :D

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Thats no dog deer, it was a good sized deer scrubby. May even weigh more than 100......that scale is awful rusty, I think I should start using it for the NJH fit club weigh ins.;):D

I'll keep your number handy too for the next drag. Since you are such a "manly man"......:D

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
psssbbbtttt..I'll put the next little puppy you shoot on one shoulder and you on the other.Then I'll carry your bow, stand, and pack in my teeth. (flexing smile) Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Bet you wish you had that game cart that in your Uncles house
Yes, Im now re-thinking this whole thing with that cart. I may have to start bringing that thing. If I get a big bodied buck up there, I would probably lay down next to the deer and expire too! Hopefully the next one runs TOWARDS the way out, and not down the opposite hill. I was calling that deer all sorts of names....:D

At one point I thought she gained 300 pounds....I turned around to see a log had hooked into her, and I was dragging her and a giant log...Mamma Mia....what a pain.

But better than being stuck at work I guess!:p :D

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i have thought about the carts too but i try to bring as little as i can into the woods. But when you get that deer and your not close to your parking area, it's a killer. i had a time when i had to drag 2 deer up hill. that sucked.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I could tell you about a Buck I shot on Middle Mountain in West Virginia and the 3.5 hour drag up a mountain but I wont........

Congrats on another "Dil-Doe" Matt.

I don't want you giving away all our trade secrets though!

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
If your asking me......
I have Pictures but no clue how to post them. When Matt comes over next time I will have him do it.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
By the way Matt the easy way to drag a Doe is to cut the skin between the Tendon and the bone on the rear legs and put a large stick thru it and drag it that way.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts