New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
{Copy of letter I mailed to NJ Herald}
Dear Sir,
I live in Sussex County in the small town of Stillwater. It has come to my attention that the Bear Hunt is again in question. Unfortunately for the people of this town, bears are overwhelming us. They are magnificent animals and without a doubt a large contributer to why people visit Sussex County. However, in the last two years, the encounters between human and bruin have risen disproportionatly to what we had seen the year of the last hunt. Why? Because they are not afrid of humans and are starving due to the overpopulation. They have lost massive amounts of habitat due to development in these rural areas and they just do not have adequate food sources. It will not be long before they really begin attacking farm animals or house pets who unfortunately cross their path. A miniture horse as well as a full-grown (about 15.2 hands-62 inches to the shoulder) horse was severly injured by a bear and had to be put to sleep. I have a farm, I have horses, barn cats, chickens, and a dog...I am concerned for them. I am also concerned for the school-age kids who may have to walk a few blocks to their bus stop like I did when I was still in school. One of them will have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in their backpack and if a bear shows up, the kid is not going to think about throwing the sandwich at it, the kid will run. And any sensible person will know what will happen from there, you are talking about a predator, it will give chase. The bears need to be controlled, or I fear there will be serious consequences. I reported numerous bear sightings in the past year and nothing was done about them, how long can we go on living like this? How long are we just going to sit back and let the bears starve to death or make meals out of domestic animals or worse? Something needs to be done, a permanent solution needs to be found, we need to eliminate some of these animals in order to ensure our safety and theirs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, but we have a strong Republican force in Sussex County, as well as come southern NJ counties like Ocean (I am living in Little Egg Harbor for school, but there's no place like home!) So I say we have a chance! Keep writing guys, that is our only chance! We need to educate the public and hopefully it will get SOME of them thinking....[smirk]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been writing letters to the Herald for a few years now...my best one was for when Bush was up for re-election. They do publish them and if you write well, no liberal tree-hugger will be able to think of anything good to write back in opposition.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Carla, great letter. Below is the addresses of most of the major NJ papers. Send it to them as well. Work smart not hard!

Star Ledger: [email protected] Gloucester Times: [email protected]

Daily Record: [email protected] The Express Times: [email protected]

NJ Herald: [email protected] Aim Action News: [email protected]

The Record: [email protected] Jersey Journal: [email protected]

North Jersey Herald and News: [email protected] The Bergen Record: [email protected]

The Trentonian: [email protected] Courier-Post: [email protected]

Philadelphia Inquirer: [email protected] Today's Sunbeam: [email protected]

Burlington Evening News: [email protected] Ocean County Observer: [email protected]

Asbury Park Press: [email protected] Trenton Times: [email protected]

The Daily Journal: [email protected] Press of Atlantic City: [email protected]

Courier News: [email protected] Princeton Packet: [email protected]

The Township Journal: [email protected] Suburban Trends: [email protected]

Burlington County Times: [email protected]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems that I have quite a bit of work to do! That's fine tho, I love when people hear what I say and the bear hunt needs to get approved.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I am in Montague, Sussex County and I see Bear at least 2 times a week. I agree with you 100% that in the not so distant future we are going to have a MAJOR problem on our hands.My dog was charged by a mother bear 2 years ago right in my back yard. Now keep in mind it was 30 feet from my house and my kids play in the sand box and swings back there. The dog is my insurance policy that the Bear will have to go through him first, buying time for the kids to get in the house. It is unfortunate that the Liberal Media will not support a controled hunt. It will take a few HUMAN deaths for the hunt to happen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's a great website, I actually added that in when I sent the other copies to all the newspapers. I hope that it gets published!!!

B

·
0 Posts
Even with a person getting killed by a bear, the media, and the anti hunters will blame the hunters,& the NJFGW for not doing anything before hand

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only thing I can think of to do is keep voicing my opinions and hope for the best...we should all do that, at some point, someone will take notice

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Libs scare me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts