New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last several years anti's have closed the gate to the dirt portion of old Waywayanda Road. That gate provides access to the Moe Mountain area. They did this on Sunday night prior to opening day. They haven't locked it in the past, but who knows this year. If they do lock it it will be hard to know if it was them or the park rangers. That makes using a bolt cutter a tough call. If I was hunting there tomorrow I would call the SP office to find out if they will close those roads due to the snow..I doubt they will. If they say no then bring a bolt cutter.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Administrator
Currently Online Posts: 3157
I would program the F&W Law Enforcement phone number into your cell phone. Also... the state park rangers too..
I've done that, however most cell phones don't work in Vernon.

Maybe I will program in Stuie's bear rescue# and give some false reports of wounded bears.LOL

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I always carry a bolt cutter in my truck. I have no qualms about removing any lock or chain from a road I know for a fact is open for hunting, unless there is a big official sign that says this road closed on these dates and signed by a guy I can call and confirm.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Overall, how is the park for deer hunting? Is it over run with hunters?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've hunted up there and found it was not overrun but that was only a couple days during firearms season last year and the year before. Two years ago we had 4-6 inches of snow on the ground and that back road at Waywayanda was open for business. I saw a really nice bear back in there but didn't have the permit [mad]

I would just check the rangers - they are pretty helpful up there.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I know Dave at the park, and it is a 5 minute drive from the house. This will be the first year of hunting the area. I got tired of the drive to the old hunting grounds where I grew up.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I went there last week doing the northern part of the park and parked on the NY side. I was up in my stand at 5:30 and I see a flashlight - of course he sets up 80 yards away. I go back to the parking lot mid-morning, and there are only two cars there, mine and his. So I hang out, then go upwind into the ravine to flush something out, and I run into this guy again, who came down and wandered into my way. The only two guys in a rather large area and we kept bumping heads - so I guess hunter density can be deceptive :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.