New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is my 5th year hunting I'm gonna take a try at duck hunting now. Looking for info on what shotgun recommendations you guys might have and if anyone has something to sell? Also if anyone in the Tuckerton area has room to take me out? I know it's asking a lot but can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
If you have no more than 500 to spend, I would honestly just consider using the mossberg to hunt and just get an aftermarket choke for it. It isn't necessary to go out and get a specialized waterfowl gun to kill ducks. Lots of advertising out there to make you think otherwise. There is so much other equipment associated with waterfowl that your $500 could be better used somewhere else. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
If you have no more than 500 to spend, I would honestly just consider using the mossberg to hunt and just get an aftermarket choke for it. It isn't necessary to go out and get a specialized waterfowl gun to kill ducks. Lots of advertising out there to make you think otherwise. There is so much other equipment associated with waterfowl that your $500 could be better used somewhere else. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally agree.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
just bought the browning maxius at the beginning of the year and it was the best $1,600.00 ever spent!!
Lotta money for a gun that dogs will step on, it'll fill with water a time or two n the action will be at least lightly sprinkled w duckweed, wet feathers n blood. I'm no Mossberg fan, exception being the patterning ability of the 835 but the Mossberg advice was prob sound for a beginner. Not to mention it could wind up at the bottom of a lake, river or muddy marsh given a bad situation. That prob won't happen to most but 1600 is a lot for a duck gun. I've got a lot of guns, some pretty pricey but they ain't going into a duck boat. If you can do that God bless ya

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
just bought the browning maxius at the beginning of the year and it was the best $1,600.00 ever spent!!
$1600?! You got screwed on that one. I have a friend that picked one up in MODB all the bells and whistles out the door a little over $1200. If your looking for one under $500 id go with the 870. Now if your going for a higher end one the SBEII, SX3, Maxus and some berettas are ones to look at.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.