New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anticipating the early archery season, and hopefully my first deer harvest, what do you do to keep the meat from spoiling once the deer is gutted?

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
After you gut your deer. It is a good idea to have paper towals witn you to clean the blood out of the cavity, Also use a branch to spread the chest open and this way the air can flow freely to help cool down the body. If you plain on butching it yourself no real problem then if your taking it to a butcher and it is far away, You can pack it with ice or quarter it up. ( Cut off front legs, back legs, and split the back bone down the middle ) Cooling down the body of every game should be the first thing you do after killing/finding the game ( pictures can be taken first ). I hope this helps

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Get it home, skin and quarter it. Butcher it up, while other parts wait wrapped in the fridge. (NOT THE FREEZER)

Getting the skin off quickly is key, and keeping a bag of ice in the chest cavity is helpful if its really hot!

If you go to a butcher, just confirm that you will get it there quickly, and that he will have room in a cooler until it gets butchered. Keep the bag of ice in the chest cavity if you wont be skinning it.

Good luck---Matt

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Seems as though we were typing at the same time MG.:D

Judging by the fact yours is more words, and took less time, Im guessing I should work on my WPM (words per minute) hahahaa:D

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well butchering it myself contains two issues. 1) I have not harvested a deer yet, so I wouldnt know the first thing about skinning or butchering a deer.

2) My wife does not have a problem with hunting. But she'd rather not see a deer hanging in the yard, or catch a glimpse of me skinning / butchering a deer. I have to respect those wishes as she respects my desire to hunt and fish.

Do you guys bring coolers of ice with you? Or just pick up ice while in transport?

That being said anyone know of any ocean county reputable deer butchers?

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I haven't been down in Ocean county hunting in years. Sorry can't think of any yet. Are you going out Spet 10 to hunt Drome? if not I have a space up here I can put you in and when you get your deer I can help and show you some tricks on skinning/gutting. There is a butcher not to far from where I hunt so I don't carry a cooler, But this year I'm going to try another butcher, ever tho I can do it myself I sometimes don't have time to do it in the early season. Well I do on Saturday hunts, not on the week day hunts.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Here is some good books to have

Field Dressing and Butchering Big Game
step-by-step instructions, from field to table
By: Monte Burch

The CVA Muzzleloading Hunter's Handbook
By: CVA

The CVA Muzzleloading Hunter's Handbook has some skinning and muzzleloader helpful hints in it.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going out on September 10th. I have a few spots Ive scouted since turkey season. I appreciate the offer. Everyone on here has been very helpful and I am grateful for it.

I went down to an archery shop recommended by Tommy yesterday to have my loop string put on and this morning when I woke up it seems my mind is in hunting prep mode. SO now Im just going over scenarios in my head (i know sounds like im going nuts).

It dawned on me that I havent harvested a deer yet so when I do what the hell am I going to do with the deer :)

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
If you hunt near any water, try to drag it there and rinse it out, I have to cross a small brook to my huhnting spot and on the way out i stop and put the deer in the brook and rinse it out. If you dont butcher it yourself, get it to a butcher fast, especially since over here the season starts in the beginning of september

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Still have to field dress before going to a butcher.

(and you have to "check" your deer on the way)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts