New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I'm looking to buy some winter hunting boots. I'm looking for something that is warm and OK for climbing in.

I've read on the Bowsite that the BATA made Mickey Boots are warm but they a bit clumsy and I'm not sure about climbing wet/icy steps wearing them. Does anyone do this? If so, how do you find them?

If anyone is happy with another product then please feel invited to chime in...

Thanks in advance,

Oliver.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i just ordered the rocky snowstalker extremes from cabelas today. i was told they are nice and warm. 1200 thinsulate plus they are a pac boot with removeable liners.

$209.00

ps: things are alot more livelier then over at the trout site.[up]

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I use Rocky Brand but the cabelas whitetail extremes are also good,
I carry overboots for the really cold days, they allow you to use a lighter boot for moving around then put them on for stand hunting.

once up in saskatchewan i filled the overboots with handwarmers and put them on over my wool socks. my feet were actually warmer than wearing the boots with the overboots on.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I like the Cabelas Snow Squall, very warm, Pac-like boot without being overly bulky. I use them with both an API grandslam climber, and lone wolf sit and climb climbing system. Workable with both stands. A little heavy, but I think a great all around pair of boots.
You can also try the over boots (forget the manufacturer) that you carry to your stand and place over any hunting boot. These work well too, though I don't need to use them much w/ the snowsquall. The over boots are a bit bulky when on stand, so keep aware of your stand boundaries.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
. The over boots are a bit bulky when on stand, so keep aware of your stand boundaries.
they are made by icebreaker, and yes you have to be carefull on stand, easy to stepover on small platforms..[down]

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
i dont think any boot ive ever tryed has kept me completely warm.. the solution i found to the problem of cold feet are the ice breaker boot covers.. a little bulky but man do they keep your feet toasty..

i always tell my wife that if i could invent a boot that really kept your feet warm a dry even in the coldest wettest conditions we would be millionairs..

·
Registered
791 Posts
i use rubber boots with felt liners and put on one plastic bag, one wool sock, one plastic bag one wool sock, for three layers and it works okay.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the Rocky Snowstalker's - man they are warm and big/heavy. My regular hiking boots felt like ballet shoes afterwards. Not that I'd know what ballet shoes really feel like!:D

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I have the original Rocky Snow Stalkers, bought in 1993, and they finally started to break down. But that is after years of hunting, snowmobiling, ice fishing, snowboarding, snowshoeing and shoveling snow...These were pack boots with liners and they are still very warm (just wore them yesterday) and although a bit bulky and heavy, they worked well in the field. They just started cracking where the leather uppers meet the rubber bottoms...I am looking at the new snow stalkers as well as some from Lacrosse and Irish Setter...

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I bought the Irish Setter Buck Stalkers in 1000 gr.

Haven't worn them on the stand yet. Very toasty.

Most important: good pair of WOOL socks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
i just like to use regular Lacrosse rubber boots for overral hunting, upland, and deer. I use thick Lacrosse socks to keep very warm.[up]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts