New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a bow or xbow urgent,I have my test on the 18 of august.I live in NBrunswick,I don't know much about archery.Thank for your help....!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
waitin to the last min. aint ya?

tons of people are selling things on here...what do you want to shoot during the season???...personally i think you should take the test another time and get a bow the fits and feels good to you and learn how to shoot it well[up]

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
plenty of other classes for you to join...like i said..if i was you i would just unregister and take it a week or two later just so you have more time....why risk rushing into a bow and maybe failing the test becasue its last min..if not best of luck![up]

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Sorry if I was a little harsh. I would start at an archery shop and get yourself fitted, this way you know what you are looking for. jdm is right, that is a great deal on a well made bow if it is the right fit (draw length and weight). If you are serious about bowhunting, please take the time to learn at least the basics about archery and hunting and spend at least a couple of weeks shooting the bow, getting used to shooting it and working on proper form. Proficiency isn't just something you need to work on for the test, you owe it to the animals you hunt to be proficient 100% of the time. The season is 5 weeks away and F&W just posted a bunch of new dates at the end of August so its not too late to reschedule. Good luck.[up]

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
go to effingers buy a crossbow .. go home shoot it and your done!! get the study materials online and study... If i'm right, didn't the hunter ed guys just get instruction on how to use crossbows after it passed!! Didn't another site member explain that in 20min. he had his crossbow sited in out to 50yrds?? Seems to me you have plenty of time.. Good luck

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
14 days to buy a bow and all your stuff . then practice to be good enough to pass the test. Plenty of time Ha Ha Ha
Well if you go with the bolt-gun you actually have 13 days to buy your stuff because you only need a couple of hours at most to be an ace shot with it:D.:p

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Don't go! Postpone it.... buy a bow... PRACTICE... then approach the sport like professional and not a slacker.

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
buy a bow... PRACTICE... then approach the sport like professional and not a slacker.

I invite anybody from this site down to the Winslow Archery range the last week in Aug. to see, for themselves, the dedicated & diehard true bowhunters doing their one day pratice for the entire year. Get there early as there will be a line.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
YA no some of you guys are F%#$ UP where's your brains telling a kid that
well exactly what the state is telling you.. There is no special training required by NJ.. I'm not a fan of the crossbows..but that is as simple as it can be!!..

I do not like the fact crossbows are being used in a genral bow season. But i also see you have a choice to use it or not.. I also know that a member posted that it took him minutes to site his in.. I also though about buying one but after shooting it.. the noice was not for me..

So it going to make a last minute decision for some that much quicker.. Not to mention for about $700 you can have everything you need.. a bare bow will start at $799 and start climbing..

remember its you choice to hunt with a crossbow or compound or traditional.. anyway you look at it 14days is enough time to pass the test.. then practice. practice..

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
if your serious with this question, all you need is a bow, get it fitted, get some instruction, and practice. All the instructors want to see is that you can handle the bow with confidence, and that you can group your shots. Find someone who can give you some instruction on shooting, and fire away.

Once you pass the test though, its all about practice practice practice. And just because you have your bow license, if you dont feel comfortable enough to take a shot, a responsible hunter wouldnt do it.

As for a crossbow, same thing. However, im not to familar with setup of crossbows.

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
14 days to buy a bow and all your stuff . then practice to be good enough to pass the test. Plenty of time Ha Ha Ha
Guess that's why they really let the Xbow in so fast.
buy a crossbow, set it up, shoot it a few times to site it in and that's it you should be ready to pass your shooting test, the written part you better crack the books to pass ;)

1 - 20 of 122 Posts