New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know not all Compound Bow deals come ready-to-hunt, but Dick's is selling this one that is. I assume I'll have to get it fitted to my pull weight, sight level, etc.?

I have an athletic build at 6'2", 200lbs, so what do you think I should look for in poundage?

I'm new to this so if you have the time also, can you please explain some basics for me?

Thank you!

- Mike

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stay away from Dick's and go to a pro shop, on here, Archery Talk or Craig's List for a complete set-up once you know your draw length and have test shot some bows.

Dick's people aren't qualified to be selling complete set-ups or giving advice. STAY AWAY from them for that.

Good luck.
Okay thanks for the advice. I just feel like pro shops are going to be way over priced.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Pro shop or craigslist eBay etc... Dicks stuff is mostly junk and I understand money is a factor. Just think I have a Mathews before they even had a dampener system in them which means it's old and still shoots great. Pretty much saying it's not a purchase but an investment

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Dicks sold my buddy a "package" including a 60# bow, with no peep sight and 40# fiberglass arrows. Would have put an arrow through his arm! I wouldn't even test it for him (as he wondered why he couldn't hit a bullseye from 10 yards away. We returned it and went to a pro-shop where he got an awesome end of season sale on a package...with a proper fitting, peep sight and the right arrows. He was shooting bullseyes up to 35 yards right out of the shop. Trust what everyone is telling you; go to a pro shop. BTW- they WANT your return business. They know if they set you up right now, you'll be back for an upgrade or new bow later on!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dicks sold my buddy a "package" including a 60# bow, with no peep sight and 40# fiberglass arrows. Would have put an arrow through his arm! I wouldn't even test it for him (as he wondered why he couldn't hit a bullseye from 10 yards away. We returned it and went to a pro-shop where he got an awesome end of season sale on a package...with a proper fitting, peep sight and the right arrows. He was shooting bullseyes up to 35 yards right out of the shop. Trust what everyone is telling you; go to a pro shop. BTW- they WANT your return business. They know if they set you up right now, you'll be back for an upgrade or new bow later on!!

Hey I forgot to post the link haha my bad Bear Archery Legion RTH Compound Bow Package - Dick's Sporting Goods

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And also I made 2 listings on Armslist (links are in Classifieds here) to try and free up some money so I can do this right. Check them out if you guys are interested in purchasing some like-new rifles (.22LR and .243Win)

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Go to a archery shop, a lot of them have used package bows and will help you pick one to fit you. I would go with a 60-70lb bow, keep it on 60lb for awhile till you get comfortable but imo 60-65lb is more than enough power. You will need to get your draw length measured which is very important, then arrows, release, targets, broadheads, ect; its expensive but bowhunting is a lot more rewarding.good luck on your quest, if you can get your draw length, then I'd check archerytalk. Lots of good package bows cheap there. Stay away from dicks

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
There has been some real sweet deals from some of the guys on here. Someone today had a nice winchester for a steal. Check the classifieds.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I picked up a mission endeavor 3 yrs ago fully set up as my first bow from a pro shop for around $500. Still shooting and killing deer to this day. Mission is made by Matthews.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I know not all Compound Bow deals come ready-to-hunt, but Dick's is selling this one that is. I assume I'll have to get it fitted to my pull weight, sight level, etc.?

I have an athletic build at 6'2", 200lbs, so what do you think I should look for in poundage?

I'm new to this so if you have the time also, can you please explain some basics for me?

Thank you!

- Mike
OK, I can give you some advice from my perspective since I just went through this myself back in September.

Before I get to my long story, here's my advice - these are based on the fact you are new and its your first bow:

1) Do not get your first bow from Craig's list, Ebay or whatever (why? because you aren't experienced to know what's a quality bow versus one that is not; or worse, you don't know if it has been dry fired - which can be dangerous to use. Plus, its not personalized for you).
2) Do not order it from an internet company. (why? because it is not personalized for you)
3) Go in person to a pro shop. (why? your bow is personalized to fit you and you are pretty guaranteed it's a safe bow with matching arrows)
4) If you DO get a used bow, buy it at a pro shop or, before you buy it from a private seller, take it to a pro shop anyway and get them to look it over. (why? because you are beginner and have no idea if its a quality, safe bow and you have no idea what arrows to get to match your bow. You have no idea if the used bow you are buying has been dry fired or needs the string replaced or whatever - someone who knows what he's doing can spot the signs of weakened limbs, bad strings, etc. Plus, you need it personalized for your own setup. You also need to get matched arrows. You get the wrong arrows and it could be dangerous. You don't want a mismatched arrow shattering with the shards going through your hand.).

I can't speak to the quality of Dick's Sporting Goods service or products, because I've never bought one from them. I can tell you that Bangers Sports in Winslow (John is the archery guy there) is good - that's where I got mine and I would buy from them again and would recommend them.

Now, my story.

I'm new to archery and bought my first bow as well. I did a lot of research, and based my choice of bow on my beginner experience, my budget (didn't want to spend more than about 500), and what I wanted my bow for (I want to use it for hunting). Now, I knew since I was a beginner, I needed one with a wide range of draw weight adjustment so I could start low and go higher as I get stronger with those back muscles. I wanted a bow that could go as low as the legal minimum of 35# but wanted it to be able to get to at least 50# if not more.

So I found a great package - ready-to-shoot with arrows, broadheads, a release, peep, case, etc. for 499. It was from a popular internet company, I was just going to order it online and have it shipped to me. Unfortunately, the bow I wanted they couldn't ship to me because I had a local pro shop that offered the same brand of bow (I was told BowTech has a policy that tries to protect local pro shops - they won't allow their bows to be sold over the internet if the shipping address has a local pro shop within so many miles). Anyway, it was a blessing in disguise. Here's why.

When i went to my local pro shop to buy the same bow, the guy (John at Bangers) was extremely helpful and he had helped customize my setup. After seeing what he did for me, I don't know how it would have worked had I bought this over the internet because you NEED your bow personalized - you have to go in person to get it setup. First, my draw length was an inch longer than I thought it would have been (had I ordered it online, I would have made it 28", but I ended up with 29"). Second, after I drew the bow, I realized I didn't have to go as low as I thought - I had it start at 39# not 35# (I would have ordered it at 35# if I went the internet route). [side note: don't go super high to start - you are a beginner, you need to concentrate on perfecting your form - there is no need to start with a high draw weight, especially if your back muscles aren't used to it. Start with a lower draw weight so you can concentrate on your form and build up those muscles - go higher later.]

But to me, equally important in the setup is the location of the peep and kisser button and I can't see how you can get that "just right" without physically drawing the bow and seeing where they should go for your particular setup. You need to have the pro mark the spot for the kisser and adjust the peep once you tell him where you see the sight lined up perfectly. The pro had me draw it back, had me get into perfect position, with the sights aligned, and marked the location where the kisser should go and adjusted the peep. From there, I watched him fix the peep and kisser so it was perfectly aligned for me. I just can't see how you can get this right from an internet order. And if you order from EBay/Craigslist/whatever, you STILL need to take it to a pro shop to get it setup. If you are an expert at archery, I'm sure you could do this yourself, but you and I are beginners - we need an expert to tell us if its setup correctly. Finally, once it was setup, the pro had me actually shoot a few arrows and made sure I was able to hit the center of the target which ensured everything was correct and sighted properly.

Final cost was about 550 including a new bow, sight, rest, quiver, stabilizer, sling, 6 arrows/field tips, peep, string wax and the service to set it all up. Based on my research for this particular bow package, it was a fair price. And it was a complete package except for the release - the only thing I didn't get immediately was a release (they didn't have any in stock that I wanted so I held out to buy one elsewhere that I did like and was comfortable using and was less than 80 bucks!) But if you compare what I would have gotten from the internet had I been able, I could have gotten it for cheaper (considering I would not have paid sales tax and I would have also got a case, broadheads and a release in addition to everything else). I later bought a case, broadheads, and release for another 120 or so, I ended up paying about 670 total for the whole setup. So, had I ordered from the internet, it would have been 500. What I ended up spending was about 670. I went over my initial budget, but, honestly, I think it was worth it. I just can't see how a beginner such as myself would have been able to get a personalized setup with a bow from the internet. But, if money is tight, it might be something you have to consider. Again, I bought some bells and whistles that a beginner might not have to get so it could be cheaper (you can probably do without a case, stabilizer, sling for a while - you'll probably want to get them later but to start, you might be able to do without those. If you aren't hunting yet, you can forgo the broadheads).

Anyway, I'm very happy with my bow, I passed my hunter's ed field test easily in November and I'm ready for winter bow in a month :)

·
Registered
6,690 Posts

Check out the info in the links below. The technical aspects of archery can be overwhelming but i suggest you read up as much as you can so you are a more informed consumer. once you do that, go to Dick's and you'll realize how clueless they are. Check out youtube to get some tips on shooting, form, etc and even reviews on different bows. That will help you decide what you actually want to look for in a bow but most important is that you got to a shop that will let you shoot different bows. Dick's is a store and you will find a good sale there but a shop will give you the service you need. Good luck and read up before you do anything else.

Compound Bow Sizing and Adjustment Guide for Draw Length and Weight - Archery Help Guide - Hunter's Friend

Carbon Arrow University - Basics & Measurement Standards

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
mazzgolf, that's a good testimonial for beginners to read and learn from and a classic example of you get what you pay for. Do it once, do it right and if it's set-up right, you can focus on the shooting aspects and not equipment issues, it will be fun right away.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you want to enjoy the sport do not go to dicks for your bow. If you're not set up right from the beginning you will not shoot to your full potential and you will get frustrated and maybe give it up. Go to a shop where they will measure you up and let you shoot it.maybe wait till after New year if you're looking to save money. And also the bows they make today are almost all very good shooting pick one that is comfortable and don't worry about needing the top of the line model.
Great Sport and be careful very addictive! !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts