New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Somerset County. I would love to go duck/goose hunting this season but have never done it. Last year had a friend who would have taken me, so I went out and purchased some decoys: Mallards, Calls, & Canadian Geese. Well he moved and I have all this gear and no location to hit. Any good spots around me? I am willing to travel. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Drag and Swiper,

If you guys can go during the week I can take you both. My boat hunts 3 comfortably. Saturdays the boat is always full because my brother is home and nephew is home from school. During the week I always have room. Just let me know and we will put a hunt together.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 15 Dec 2005 3:27 PM

Currently Offline Posts: 151
Drag and Swiper,

If you guys can go during the week I can take you both. My boat hunts 3 comfortably. Saturdays the boat is always full because my brother is home and nephew is home from school. During the week I always have room. Just let me know and we will put a hunt together.
If it's ok I would like to come if there is room sometime.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 15 Dec 2005 6:00 PM

Administrator
Currently Offline Posts: 3423
230grain... snow on the ground w/decoys should make the decoys more effective, no?

When do you guys want to go?
I think the green or camo tarp on the snow will be effective. You said it is illegal, but i cannot find any mention of it in the NJ compendum. You said it was illegal in PA. I think I also started a thread about the green tarp. I don't recall getting any answers.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 16 Dec 2005 1:03 PM

Administrator
Currently Offline Posts: 3445
No way dude... simulating food is the same as baiting. At the water gap you get in state and federal trouble/fine$.
In the 2003 bear hunt baiting was not allowed. I asked one of the instructors of that years bear seminar about using BearSense. It is incense with bear attracting odors ( anise , fish, berrys etc.). He said as long as it is not something for the animal to eat it is NOT bait.

Before I put out a tarp on the snow I am checking into this further. Waterfowl hunting is, as we all know, regulated federally. Maybe federal definations of baiting are different. Perhaps I will check with Ducks Unlimited and/or the US Fish & Wildlife Service.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
It's a federal law you can not bait waterfowl anywhere. The tarps are not consided bait. We have used clear poly tarps to replicate water serveral times putting shell and full bodies on top of it. You can't put at fake corn or any bait regardless. You can be fined if hunting near bait regardless if you know it's there or not. You can hunt over any field that hold left over grain from standard harvesting methods. I like to hunt over corn and soybean fields that were harvested at night. They seem to miss alot more product and loading it from combine to truck they spill more.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Drag,
I've hunted geese for 25 years, field, marsh and the bay. If you can get a goose to think your astro turf is winter wheat I'd S#@t my pants. It's hard enough to get them to decoy in to a spread of full body decoys with a pit blind and motion decoys, let alone a square piece of green material. If it works send it in to Field and Stream and get yourself $50.

Ryan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts