New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the Wanaque WMA was transferred to Ringwood SP and is it eligible for Sunday bow hunting?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They said it was too far out of the way for the game wardons to cover it.
I agree with you. What does that mean? They can cover it during every other day during every other hunting and fishing season but it too far out of the way to cover for Sunday bow hunting? I didn't even know game wardens worked on Sunday.

You know something. I hunt Sterling as soon as NY opens. Last year there were a bunch of ATVers crossing the border up in that area and a warden asked me about them. From now on I didn't see a thing if a jersey warden asks.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
You know something. I hunt Sterling as soon as NY opens. Last year there were a bunch of ATVers crossing the border up in that area and a warden asked me about them. From now on I didn't see a thing if a jersey warden asks.
Both the NYS park rangers and their NJ counterparts are afraid to deal with the ATV'ers. This because of the incident where the Ramapough guy was shot by the park ranger. The controversy that insued has them scared so Wanaque WMA and Sterling are fair game for ATV riders.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Both the NYS park rangers and their NJ counterparts are afraid to deal with the ATV'ers. This because of the incident where the Ramapough guy was shot by the park ranger. The controversy that insued has them scared so Wanaque WMA and Sterling are fair game for ATV riders.
The rangers have had a stand-offish approach to agressively pursuing ATV riders long before the Ramapough shooting. Back in '99 they were chasing one on the state land and he had an accident during the chase. He sued the state and settled for just over a million dollars in damages. After that they shut the roads and instituted the "access permit" to travel those roads soon afterwards.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
He sued the state and settled for just over a million dollars in damages.
Thats what I hate about this state. This guy was breaking the law and evading law enforcement officers, but yet still wins money in a settlement.[wallmad][wallmad][wallmad]

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last year I was in Sterling and my freind was in Wanaque. When I stopped in the lot to wait for him to come out, a Jersey Warden asked me if I had seen any ATVs. I told him they were on the state line and heading for NJ and the approximate area. He took off like a bat out of hell, like he had a score to settle.

This guy was breaking the law and evading law enforcement officers, but yet still wins money in a settlement
And you wonder where vigilante justice gets started. A piece of old tine harrow turned upside down on their favorite trail will take care of them. And then who will they sue?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another question is;

Do you now have to go to the Manor office to get a parking permit to hunt Wanaque now that it is a part of Ringwood State Park?

And what about all the people that fish the creek along East Shore DR. on Sundays? Since its too far out of the way for wardens, is it all the trout you can carry on Sundays?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
A piece of old tine harrow turned upside down on their favorite trail will take care of them.
Good idea until a dog steps on it, or I put it through my boot[mad]. Or even worse, it causes an ATV rider to crash and he gets killed. Best bet, change the law. First offense, ticket. Second offense, ticket,loss of driving license. Third offense, loss of license plus loss of ATV. Hit the illegal riders in a "sting" operation, kind of like those seatbelt stops, and soon there will be no more illegal riders.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Or even worse, it causes an ATV rider to crash and he gets killed.
If he's breaking the law, too bad. I'll send a sympathy card to his widow and children.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Last year I was in Sterling and my freind was in Wanaque. When I stopped in the lot to wait for him to come out, a Jersey Warden asked me if I had seen any ATVs. I told him they were on the state line and heading for NJ and the approximate area. He took off like a bat out of hell, like he had a score to settle.
I have had the exact opposite experience qith NYS rangers and with DFW officers. I guess it depends on the individual.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess it depends on the individual.
I just remember he was a young guy. He approached us and asked if we had seen any ATVs.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I run my dog up there, and I see the DFW types occasionally pursuing the ATV riders, because they check me for my access permit. But, I see more riders than DFW officers, and they are usually off the beaten path where DFW can't take their 4x4's.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
they check me for my access permit.
So now are we going to need a permit for the former WMA land?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
permit to hunt.
The permit my friend had to get was when he hunted the "Brushwood Section" of Ringwood State Park.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
So now are we going to need a permit for the former WMA land?
The permit my friend had to get was when he hunted the "Brushwood Section" of Ringwood State Park.
Yes, when you go up the Brushwood area of Ringwood SP and want to drive those roads all the way to Bear Swamp Lake, you need an offroad access permit. It's free. You first provide them with a copy of your N.J. hunting or fishing license #, as well as copies of your NJDL, vehicle registration and insurance. You can mail it to them and they mail you the permit back to affix on the dash of your vehicle.

I also get the Sterling Forest permit every year.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.