New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any New Jersey snakes mimic a rattler by shaking their tail??? I was wet wading the lower que today and on the way in came across the tail of snake sticking out of the weeds, no rattle on the tail but he was shaking it like a rattler...I was gonna take a picture but he went deeper into the bush and I wasnt gonna follow him.

I'm walking through waste high brush and grass with shorts on...freeked me out, then once in the river I had my head on a swivil, needless to say I caught ZERO trout...

I'm not afraid of anything...EXCEPT snakes!!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
what color was it? rat snakes, black racers,water snakes,all do that. however if it was a small ratller that hasn't shed its first time yet it won't have a rattle. Remember the amount of rattles is NOT how old the snake is but how many times it has shed. If it is eating really well it can shed several times a year.

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just saw the tail, it was dark, I'm guessing it was a black rat snake, I've seen tons of water snakes, never had one mimic a rattler...

Found this on the web...

Some snakes, including Black Rat snakes and Milk Snakes, mimic rattlesnakes' rattles by vibrating their tails through dry leaves.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
racer would be my bet. theyre very agressive when cornered and wound kinda tight
not always,I have caught ones that were so mild mannered that they just slithered their way on my arms. i have caught some that were aggresive at first but calmed down. then there was those that didn't even need to be cornered or injured that were ready to nail me. By the way I have seen black racers pop up like a cobra.

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I was 5 or 6 years old I had a racer "chase" me, I don't know if it was chasing me or we were both trying to get away, but I was runnin and he was right next to me up on his tail...it seemed like we were eye to eye...I was traumatized

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
When I was 5 or 6 years old I had a racer "chase" me, I don't know if it was chasing me or we were both trying to get away, but I was runnin and he was right next to me up on his tail...it seemed like we were eye to eye...I was traumatized
When I was a little kid I used to pick up garter snakes all the time. I even got suspended in the 4th grade for releasing a garter snake in class. As an adult I am much more tentative about snakes.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
i hate racers! i was playing in a rockpile behind my house when i was 8 years old and i flipped a big flate piece of stone over and just as i did a racer shot out and wacked me in the shin! i dropped the rock and went flying in to the house, after i changed my boxers my dad came out with me to look and it was a 4ft black race, when i dropped the rock i squashed him, i have a pic somewhere of m dad holding the up and me with a bandage on my leg haha i thought i was gonna die, not really afraid of snakes only get starteld by them ,, my favorites are those cute little ringnecks had bunch of them as pets growing up[up]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.