New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a year after year deer trail 100yards from the fire road bridge on East Shore Drive. They come down off the mountain and head down to the Jennings Creek swamp. About 3-4 years ago I saw a monster buck in this area out of bow range. I hunted the area hard the rest of the season without seeing him again. There were rubs on 4-5" dia trees, but these rubs haven't been there in subsequent years.

One trick I have succesfully used for this WMA is to drop down from NYS when the NYS & NJ seasons overlap. I got a decent 7 pointer with my muzzle loader that way a few years ago. This practice also requires a NYS big game license and a Sterling Forest permit. Of course you must also use a wepon legal in NJ.

This "drop down" trick can also be used further east sneaking down to the tract of land in Ringwood owned by Passaic County. This tract used to be part of Stering Forest when it was a private company.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I occasionally would wander into NYS when grouse hunting up in Ringwood SP years ago as there is no noticeable boundry. I would assume that Wanaque and Ringwood each have some backwoods and offtrail places that harbor some big bucks.

How are the deer numbers up there?

Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts