New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog was driving me nuts cause the last time we were out was on the 6th.
We decided on no Wild Life Management areas. No groomed paths or hedgerows. We were going to ruff it and look for hold over birds in the least stocked area in NJ. Walpack
Walpack gets only 30 to 40 birds at a time but is so quite and beautiful in that valley and we had it all to ourselves today.
We had to really work for our birds. But birds do hold over there and looks like there is plenty for them to eat.

The last stocking was 10 days ago and this is what I found the cock bird was eating.
I was surprised to see the tiny onions.

This is what I found in the Hen bird. Filled with small dark brown seeds.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
nice [up] everytime i go up to the gap for phez i make it a point to hit walpack,nice little place.i had off work today and took my dogs to assunpink,ended up with 2 hens,took about 4 hours but the dogs got a lot of exercise.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I've seen rocks in a pheasant before... Not sure why

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
I've seen rocks in a pheasant before... Not sure why

Gizzard stones
Some animals that lack teeth will swallow stones or grit to aid in fragmenting hard foods. All birds have gizzards, but not all will swallow stones or grit. The birds that do, employ the following method of mastication:[2]

"A bird swallows small bits of gravel that act as 'teeth' in the gizzard, breaking down hard food such as seeds and thus helping digestion." (Solomon et al., 2002).
These stones are called gizzard stones or gastroliths and usually become round and smooth from the polishing action in the animal's stomach. When too smooth to do their required work, they may be excreted or regurgitated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.