New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like fishing for walleye and Pike but I have never really done fished for them in Jersey,just Canada. Anyone have any good Walleye and Pike tips?

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats it??? Thats all you have? No little secrets? Anyone???

·
11,226 Posts
If I tell everyone my little secrets they wont be secrets anymore! Can you keep a secret?............................So can I! LOL! OK maybe it's that I don't know a friggen thing about fishing for walleye and pike!:D Big buck tail spinners for pike! Thats my secret! Actually I just thought of it and made it my secret! Except now I told everyone and it's no longer my secret! DOH!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I tried for northern pike,yesterday, at Monksville, 3 hrs. casting and trolling from a kayak,tried several different lures, but I didn't get any bites at all. This was my first time fishing there, just really "spotting" the area for when the water gets a little warmer. It was a good day to be out though, plenty of sun, and no work.. If anyone has any tips, about fishing there, I would appreciate it....thanks, and I won't tell anyone...

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
walleyes = take a jig and put a shinneron the hook and drop it down hit the botton and bring it up about a inch or so. and leave it. thats all I know sorry. I fly fish....

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
My favorite for pike and or chain pickerel are Rapala's. This time of the year I use a "sinking" Rapala over weedbeds and around cover. Once the water warms up I prefer "floating" Rapala's. Fish the weedbeds and any cover that holds baitfish. Good Luck.

·
11,226 Posts
Come to think of it I have had pretty good luck with Rapala's as well....Such great little lures. I've caught everything from pickerel and b [no swearing please] to crappie and perch on them. I've even caught a catfish or two on them...Good lure choice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dbuck, there are some pike waters in NJ, notably Budd lake, cranberry lake, and the passaic and Pompton rivers among others.monksville has not been stocked with pike But why fish for 8 lb. pike when NJ is teeming with HUGE muskies? nobody bats an eye at a 20 lber. 30 lbers are pretty common for those in the know. places to try include but are not limited to: greenwood, monksville, echo, mountain, hopatcong and mercer lakes. also the delaware river. all these places have produced 48 inch muskies. I caught 4 muskies on greenwood last sunday . nothing really big. got a 50 incher there last year. check NJ F&G for a list of all stocked waters.

john

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh yea, walleyes.... there's a topic close to my heart. OK....NJ is TEEMING with walleyes, and hardly anyone fishes for them. I've been walleye fishing (guiding, actually) dawn to dark every day for the last month or so. I put a few in the boat. nothing big this year. largest were 28 inches, about 8 1/2 lbs.I have caught them up to 12 lbs on the delaware river. Other Good places to try are: hopatcong, swartswood, greenwood, monksville and canistear reservoir. think of walleyes as big toothy perch. they USUALLY aren't that hard to catch.

john

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks muskiedaze...Is it easy to catch walleyes and muskies of the shore? I know walleyes like to lay aound pillars and such. Any good tips on how to catch walleyes and muskies on the Delaware?

·
11,226 Posts
I once was fishing with a friend who hooked a small b [no swearing please] in the Delaware. As he was reeling it in a muskie came out of nowhere and nailed the bass! The muskie was too big for the lite tackle he was using so he cut the line. We could see the muskie just sitting near the bottom of the water from the boat! Big nasty fish! It was cool!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The water is warming up!..Caught 4 northern pike last week, 2 in Budd lake, about 20 inches, then 2 in the Passaic, one 26in. the other about 24 inches. Fishing the shallow water off the main flow of the river, with jointed lures. Fishing from a kayak, you can get to thoses little spots, away from the crowds. This is a new hobby for me, something to keep me going until bow season...

·
Registered
8 Posts
dbuck, i've caught many walleyes and a few muskies from the shore on the delaware, usually during periods of high water.i've never tried shore fishing for them in a lake. like anything else, catching them is not difficult once one developes the skill to do so. if it were "easy" there wouldn't be any because someone would have already caught them all. also, please remember that catch and release is practiced religously by muskie fishermen.
to catch muskies consistantly specialized tackle is required. most guys use large level wind reels with 50-80 lb braided line,MH rods, steel leaders, and very large lures with super sharp hooks. walleyes can be caught with conventional tackle. the fishes location will determine the techniques best used. jigs tipped with shiners or twistertails are probably best all-around, but worm harnesses and small crankbaits are also effective.

john

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Muskiedaze. Have you ever had any luck with Musky/pike with topwater lures such as large jitterbugs?

I think I remember you posting a long time ago on the Bowsite that you guide the river for Muskies and Walleyes,do you still do that and if so what are your rates?

·
Registered
8 Posts
DB, muskies are suckers for surface baits during low light warm water conditions, but the hooking percentage is lower than with other presentations. the hooks on jitterbugs twist off the screw eyes very easily so they aren't the best choice for muskies. mail order companies like rollie and helens offer many surface lures designed for muskies and pike. you can find them online. check muskiedaze.com for particulars on guided trips.

john

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
There are nice sized Northern Pike in the South Branch of the Raritan !!!![up]

Check out the April 4th - April 9th or last weeks edition of the NJ Fisherman Magazine (I forget which edition, as I'm delerious from trying to balance work along with my trout and Striper fishing trips) -Jim Holland, Owner of Shannon's Fly & Tackle in Califon, was featured in a two and 1/2 page article on Northern Pike fishing on the South Branch of the Raritan, and how they are getting huge eating the trout in the South Branch. (You still should be able to find some editions in most bait & tackle shops, and I'm sure Jim has a few hundred copies at this shop that he may be willing to part with!!! - If you can't get a copy, e-mail me and let me know - I'll have someone scan it for me and I'll send it to your newjerseyhunter.com e-mail address if you have one.)[up]

There is a recently caught South Branch Norther Pike (It is over 30" long) hanging on the wall in the shop. Just stop at the shop in Califon, and ask Jim Holland - I'm sure he'll gladly tell you where and how to catch all the Pike you want on the South Branch. [up]

Also, you can call Shannon's Fly & Tackle Shop for Delaware River Shad, Bass, Hybrids, Pike and Muskie trips with Eric Hildebrant of Hildebrant Charters. [up]

Eric is a really personable guy, and is very well known in the area as an excellent guide for these species, but especially in Muskie and Pike.[up]

http://www.shannonsflytackle.com/

The local fly fishermen actually fish for the Northern Pike in February and March with spinning gear and shiners just to catch them and get them out of those beautiful holdover/stocked trout waters. I've heard that Big White Rooster Tails and broken back Rapala's are also the lures of choice up there.[up]

It's not uncommon to see a Pike head or two nailed to the trees near the portions of the South Branch above Clinton. [down] :( [mad]

I disagree with that practice as it might frighten some very young "anglers" (If you have kids, nieces/nephews, etc...under 7 years of age that you're trying to teach how to fish ethically, you'll know what I'm talking about!!!) - But it's just the way things are done there by a few bad apples. [down]:(

One of the Northerns that were caught on the South Branch recently had a 9" sucker in it's belly!!!

There used to be (and may very well still be) a monster Northern Pike in the deep pool in front of the paddle wheel at the Red Mill on the South Branch in Clinton. At first I thought it was a 4' log floating there, that is until it rocketed out with a fierce tail splash and jammed whatever it was that it was going to eat. I never saw what it ate, but it moved right back to where it was originally lying in wait before its "lunch" swam by, and it continued to feed like that on a regular basis for months - The last time I saw it there was August 2004, but I'm sure if that one isn't there, another one will take up residence, as the water from the waterfalls is always washing dinner directly past the front of that pool. [up]

I hope this helps any of you who are interested!!!!

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Outlaw I would like to read it.I didn't realize that there was such an abundance of Pike in the S/B. I would love to catch someone nailing a Pike to a tree. They would definately know of my disapprovement.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The south branch... no kidding. Some of the water on there doesn't seem deep enough to hold decent sized predators... and it's fished so heavily for trout, I figured it wouldn't hold much else. The lower parts of the south branch maybe... like towards raritan and dukes estate (although the two branches may have joined at that point... don't know).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts