New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a pair of wader. Any suggestions? What is the difference between stocking foot and boot foot? which one is more recomended? I fish mostly in small rivers and lakes in NJ. Nothing to crazy.

Also, how much should I be looking to spend?

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i use waist waders from cabelas. they are stocking foot. about $50 maybe. the difference between stocking foot and bootfoot is bootfoot the boots are attached. stockingfoot you will also need to buy a pair of wading boots. i prefer stocking foot. but to each his own.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I have hodgeman stocking foot, and cabelas outfitter felt boots. It's really up to you which you want to get, but i suggest a felt if you get stocking foot or regular, make sure they are felt bottom, I think now a days they are all felt, but I could be wrong

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
As others have mentioned..stocking foot requires an extra purchase of boots. The first set of stockingfoots you buy will be relatively more expensive than a pait of bootfoot.

However with stockingfoots the boots should be a one time purchase, you will mostly not need to replace them for years.

The stocking foot are far more comforatable and offer a wider range of choices than bootfoot as well.

Either way make sure you get felt bottoms.

Here is what I use...It is a combination between paying money for quality,(boots which will last), and being frugal,(waders which are economical and can be easily replaced).

BOOTS....Chota "STL" Plus Wading Shoe
Possibly the best wading boot on the market, felt soles, plus case hardened steel cleats,(removable and replaceable). Feels like wearing a sneaker, grips river rocks like a boot..

http://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/cybermerchant/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=52

Waders...Hodgman Wadelite® I Breathable Waders
Great compromise between quality and value..

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTarget=search&hvarTextId=34624&hvarAID=froogle&cm_ven=Performics&cm_cat=Search&cm_pla=I-search (Froogle)&cm_ite=DDI link

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
I like the stocking foot better than the boot foot.
Stocking foot seem to offer more ankle support. They are more comfortable to walk in too!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I have LaCross stocking foot breatheables (about $100), and Patagonia wading boots. The boots are not light, but you won't get any toe pich between rocks either.

Yes on felt, mine are felt with cleats.

dan

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I have both neoprene and breathable stocking foot waders. The neoprene waders are too hot for most fishing situations I mostly use them for waterfowl hunting. My breathables have a neoprene foot area and waistband. The gravel guards are permanently attached. The only complaint I have about these is that the waders are difficult to remove. I have lace up felt bottom wading shoes.

The advantage of stocking foot waders is that you have ankle support and can change your wading shoe based of conditions. I like the felt bottoms for most trout fishing because the felt has good traction on slippery rocks. Felt bottoms have poor traction out of the water on muddy banks. I almost broke my neck on some loose pine needles along the Wanaque. Last year while duck hunting on the Delaware I had a lot of trouble getting up the bank. For this reason I am in the market foe a pair of lugged bottom wading shoes. I plan on getting Velcro closures instead of laces. When wading (with the neoprene waders) in below freezing temps the laces freeze up.

I plan on doing some surf fishing late in the year. Everyone I talk to tells me stocking foot waders are no good for the surf because the gravel guards cannot keep out the sand. I have my doubts perhaps someone has some experience on this.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
One thing I left out is that my neoprene waders are reversable camo. One side realtree the other is reeds. I think they were $79 from Redhead. Also thes waders come all the way up to my armpits.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
230Grain..

I wear the setup posted above while surf fishing and have never had a problem with sand. Make sure the waders you buy have the tab on the ankle gaurds. The tab clips to the bottom of the laces on your boot. That keeps them tight and completely covering the top of your boot. My guess is those who have sand problems don't even have the tab.

If you plan on walking on Jettys the Chota are the way to go. Everyone wearing korkers will be asking you where they could get a pair[up]

·
Registered
949 Posts
I use neoprene boot foot, easy to get on and off with the felt bottom. Never tried stocking foot. The one thing I might reconsider when I go to a pair of new ones is weather or not I would buy neoprene again. When I bought then years ago it was very cold at the Musky in April or the Manasquan. You get heated up very fast. They are good for late season, I was actually thinking about going back to the cheap rubber ones again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have Ducks Unlimited boot foot chest waders. Bought them new 10 yrs ago for $35 at a PA flea market. The waders are very heavy and non-felt boots. They are starting to wear now so I'm looking for new also. Going with breatheable stocking foot with a cleated felt wading boot. I had a chance to use a friends last summer and what a big difference in comfort, weight, and lack of slippage on the rocks.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Kevo;
That lady is still selling boots at marshall creek flea market. I pick up a pair of DU 5 mm neoprene waders for $45. My son got stocking foot w/ boots for $65. She had alot of inventory if you are looking.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks bobr. I was working in sales up that way and asked about them in a few sport shops in the area. Everyone I talked with had nothing but good things to say. Great prices, and they stand behind their products.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a set of neoprene and breatheable waders both in stocking foot from Cabelas. For early April neoprene are alot warmer. But in May I love the breatheables. I bought my boots 1 size larger because I have a wide foot. Neoprenes are hot in the summer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts