New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done my research the past 6 months in looking for a new pup. Just wanted to see some other opinions on the breed. Anybody who has any experience with this breed feel free to share thoughts and opinions.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Shooter:

Like with any breed there are good and then some not so good of the breed. If you are sold on the breed then look for the type of breeder that uses his dogs for the type of hunting you do. Make certain you are researching breeders that hunt their dogs and have done so for many generations. I would look into any breeder that is associated with NAVHDA and then go from there.

Good luck
nobellekennel.com

·
Registered
10,660 Posts
There are a few members on here who run Vizslas. Hopefully they will see this post and add their thoughts. I've hunted over a couple Vizslas and they seem to be great bird dogs, but they require a LOT of exercise and need to be run every day.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
every sporting dog needs to be run every day. :D
a friend og mine had a litter of 13. the mother and father are great hunters but a diff type of good. alot like my breed. there a very soft handed dog. get with a breeder and take a look at what the breed does in the field and in the home.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I hunted over Ghostbear's Vizsla last year and it was true joy to watch, As the man says...."Life is too short to hunt with an ulgy dog" [lol]

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have two Viszla's. They are wonderful gregarious dogs and are extremely affectionate. My 5yr old male is a prize II UT dog and I am currently working with my female for a NA test this fall. A word of caution though... they are very soft dogs. They respond to training better with positive reinforcement and will shut down if you come down to hard on them.
My male did really well on a recent hunt in New Brunswick Canada for grouse. I think he did better than my buddies German dog because he worked much slower and cautiously than a dog with more range. And that is generally NOT what NAVHDA judges want to see. It really depends on your hunting style. As far as a house pet I think they are great but then again I'm biased... LOL Good luck with whatever breed you choose.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Great Pix, I hunted over Ghostbears Attila 2 years ago when he was a pup. Dog was awesome! I would get one in a second.
I have hunted with Ghostbear and Attila also. Sweet.

Birdmanmike also has a Visla named Autum. (I think that's his screen name he changed it once it used to be MPEMT something.)

Ask those guys to if you can check out their dogs. I imagine they would be more than accomodating

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is a breed you really have to do your homework on when looking for a breeder. Picking a bred is the easy part. Picking a good breeder is the hard part. Don't look at breeders that just state they have dogs with strong hunting lines. Look for dogs like nobellekennels said that hunt what you hunt. Buy the best dog you can afford, it will be money well spent. Good luck, let me know if you need some names of good breeders.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Great dog, we just lost ours to heart failure. The vet said sporting dogs are prone to this due to the high energy. Definately a soft hand approach is needed, but they are extremely affectionate. They need to be touching you all the time. Tons of exercise needed.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Shooter 3:

As an AKC hunt test judge I have had the pleasure of judging a local breeder's dogs on several occassions. These dogs were run by differnet handlers therefore I got a chance to really see the type of dogs this kennel produces. Their dogs can compete on any level of any of the various testing organizations. The level of sucess in many instances depends on the people that wind up with the dog. The higher level of testing is as much to do with handling as anything else especially at the higher NAVHDA / AKClevel of testing.

As a hunting dog that I do not know as I can only tell you from what I witnessed in a set up situation while juding at the ALC Master Hunter level. The dogs are without question worth looking into.

I have not spoken to this person in years therefore I am not certain if they are even still breeding. If you would like I would in a pm be happy to forward you their email address.

Good Luck

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Autumn is a great house dog and good hunter. Like said before use a soft hand and work slow. It took Autumn about 3 seasons to work well. But she likes to work with just a few hguys. She isn't big on the crowds and like Venisoneatr said she works slow. If you are looking for a goood all around dog for family (after all hunting season is only 4 months long) and for the feild I feel you can't beat them.

·
Registered
10,660 Posts
mpemt24 - I just emailed you a copy of a pretty good Vizsla story from the Ruffed Grouse Society magazine :D

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
My old barber in Pequannock used to use a vizla. they are great dogs.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Vizslas suck!
Spoken like a true GSP owner.

mpemt24 - I just emailed you a copy of a pretty good Vizsla story from the Ruffed Grouse Society magazine
Cool. I need to join RGS. I love chasing those birds upstate. Going to have to try again in Jersey though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.