New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, anybody on here a member of the group called Vintagers? I'm looking to be a member but did not see if there were any events held here in New Jersey. Can anybody fill me in on this organization?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
G&H would be a good place to check for men & women indulged in the love, pursuit and use of classic bespoke shotguns.

Site member Briar is in the know about this event I think.

Join any of the classic SxS forums like Foxcollectors.com, lcsmith.org, or parkerguns.org and you'll find info there. Many of these forum members attend the annual event each year.

Or go directly here at this link, there is some contact info: The Vintagers Vintage Cup 2014 - Order of Edwardian Gunners (Shotgunners) - Present the World Side by Side Championships - An event for SxS double guns commonly called; side by side shotguns. Shotguns with two horizontal barrels. The side by side cha

*Steve Cobb of Stephen Cobb Shotguns in Bedminster, NJ usually goes to the event each year to sell/buy classic guns. There is usually a handful of quality vendors and gunsmiths who attend the event as well.

Reactions: Lou and SAMURAI

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I was at Sandanona this Saturday and have shot at Hudson Farm a few times already and so far what I found out seems the New Jersey Chapter of the Vintagers really is not very active so membership may not be worth it if there's nothing to do locally. Sandanona is almost 3 hours from me and Dover furnace in NY is almost more so. I know Steve Cobb is an active member and will try to contact him next about it but I am really looking for more local events. Maybe if there are any members here we can hold our own events such as tower shoots or even boar hunts in PA with double rifles and stalking rifles.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
There was a small group of classic SxS owners that used to shoot at Thunder Mountain on the Sporting Clays range years ago, but I haven't seen them as a group up there anymore since they changed their "Thunder Clays" course. Some of them attended the Vintager event but I know of no such events here in NJ.

Reactions: SAMURAI

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Can someone explain the interest in dressing up in pre-1920's garb and shooting S x S??? I get the fun competition and the "gentlemen's sport" but what's the point in the garb?? I've been to Hudson Farm and while camo seems a little silly for birding and sporting clays; all the Barbour tweed knickers and Cheviot garters on my Shoffel Argyle "stockings" seems more about displaying affluence then shooting ability. There's plenty of fine modern day clothing that can dress the occasion up, but watching uber wealthy prance around in their La Chameau's isn't much different than going to the Renaissance Fair.

Reactions: Lou and SAMURAI

·
Registered
495 Posts
Barbour tweed knickers and Cheviot garters at these events are about as weird as Hambo operators sporting plate carriers loaded down with all sorts of web gear at three-gun events, complete with two pounds of add-on's festooned to their fully-tweaked AR's; or as weird as SASS shooters who dress up in cowboy character who adopt SASS pseudo-names like Pecos Pete, Calamity Lame or Mesquite Mike. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Steven Cobb is originally from North Carolina,great stuff.If you have an interest in sxs The Southern Side by Side held at Deep River,Sanford NC in the spring time will give you an opportunity to meet some really nice people who share the same interest.
One of the most hotly contended events L C Smith vs Parker's
a great deal of information can be had on line or a magazine called "The Double Gun Journal".
Other great reads from authors like John Houchins or Mike McIntosh both deceased and missed as good friends,
older books by Foster,New England Grouse shooting,The Shotgun,Michael Yardly,
Shooting Sportsman ,the magazine of wing shooting and fine guns.
It's about the fishing not the catching.....same applies to hunting with a sxs,are there better guns to kill game (dead is dead)
short answer...yes, but it's not really about killing game.
But is perusing game with a gun that was made before you were born ,that is the result of hand craftsmanship of people who had a lifetime as a builder of fine guns for discriminating shooters.
Working works of Art,sure engraving doesn't break clay targets, but once you know what your looking at,you have to admire the skill which went into it.A lot of engravers are at Southern Side by Side,Ken Hunt,master engraver for winchester,colt,Geffory Gornay, unbelievable detail in there work.
It's not everyone's passion but the more you know,the less you need.....like 1 really,really nice gun.
I had a bird dog with exquisite taste when it came to reliving himself on , (2) Holland &Hollands,a Purdy and a Boss,which there still talking about !
Don't just leave your gun unattended,
enjoy the sport

·
Registered
713 Posts
Barbour tweed knickers and Cheviot garters at these events are about as weird as Hambo operators sporting plate carriers loaded down with all sorts of web gear at three-gun events, complete with two pounds of add-on's festooned to their fully-tweaked AR's; or as weird as SASS shooters who dress up in cowboy character who adopt SASS pseudo-names like Pecos Pete, Calamity Lame or Mesquite Mike. Different strokes for different folks.

Knickers are underwear,I think you are referring to Breeks,English shooting pants,either plus fours or plus twos (fabric beneath the knee) who's to say they are out of place,they have been at it for quite awhile,more tradition than anything else.
I won't even get into flyfishing,another make it harder on yours self endeavor .

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys awesome and very interesting replies lol! Honestly I prefer not to wear knickers/underwear at the shoots and since I am Asian seeing me in a tweed jacket and breeks is as out of place as it gets! But when in Rome do as the Romans do. I love shooting side by sides and finding a group dedicated to shooting them exclusively is all about fun. I've shot with both Griffin and Howe and Orvis, with people shooting $90,0000 guns and they can be some of the nicest people out there. Yes there are some a-holes too but generally they are some of the most disciplined, safety conscious and respectful people I have hunted with. Its easy to say its strange but don't knock it till you try it. These guys may be millionaires but during the shoots we are all equals, just all plain old hunting buddies.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
^^^^^Start selling them your woodcarvings for a few grand a piece and you'll be the talk of the tapas party![up] (hey you never know!:clever66:)

Reactions: SAMURAI

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Steven Cobb is originally from North Carolina,great stuff.If you have an interest in sxs The Southern Side by Side held at Deep River,Sanford NC in the spring time will give you an opportunity to meet some really nice people who share the same interest.
One of the most hotly contended events L C Smith vs Parker's
a great deal of information can be had on line or a magazine called "The Double Gun Journal".
Other great reads from authors like John Houchins or Mike McIntosh both deceased and missed as good friends,
older books by Foster,New England Grouse shooting,The Shotgun,Michael Yardly,
Shooting Sportsman ,the magazine of wing shooting and fine guns.
It's about the fishing not the catching.....same applies to hunting with a sxs,are there better guns to kill game (dead is dead)
short answer...yes, but it's not really about killing game.
But is perusing game with a gun that was made before you were born ,that is the result of hand craftsmanship of people who had a lifetime as a builder of fine guns for discriminating shooters.
Working works of Art,sure engraving doesn't break clay targets, but once you know what your looking at,you have to admire the skill which went into it.A lot of engravers are at Southern Side by Side,Ken Hunt,master engraver for winchester,colt,Geffory Gornay, unbelievable detail in there work.
It's not everyone's passion but the more you know,the less you need.....like 1 really,really nice gun.
I had a bird dog with exquisite taste when it came to reliving himself on , (2) Holland &Hollands,a Purdy and a Boss,which there still talking about !
Don't just leave your gun unattended,
enjoy the sport
I am only quoting because I can only like one time so I like,like, like, like, like this post.

Reactions: briar and SAMURAI

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Knickers are underwear,I think you are referring to Breeks,English shooting pants,either plus fours or plus twos (fabric beneath the knee) who's to say they are out of place,they have been at it for quite awhile,more tradition than anything else.
I won't even get into flyfishing,another make it harder on yours self endeavor
As a guy who uses a recurve more than any other weapon and travels with a flyrod as much or more than anything else other than a passport SOMEBODY NEEDS TO PRESERVE TRADITION OR IT MAY NOLONGER BE A SPORT! THINK a bit between animal rights and commercialization what will keep our way of life together?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^^^^Start selling them your woodcarvings for a few grand a piece and you'll be the talk of the tapas party![up] (hey you never know!:clever66:)
Hey Willemo you never know. My friend won a major Woodcarving competition and got offered $150,000 for his carving!!!! Im not as good as he is and not that lucky either hahaha!!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice gun Piney! All the engraving and gold inlaid guns in the world I would still trade to have a gun that's been in the family like the one you have, the memories it has and will still make with you is PRICELESS!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.