New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the German band Rammstein in a video that was supposed to be a joke and I get German and Polish viewing it quite a bit... the video has over 50,000 views and I just uploaded it months ago! Several Germans PM me, one contacts me on Facebook, they go on to tell me they saw my video with Rammstein and then started to watch my other videos. They tell me that bow hunting is not legal in Germany but they are fighting to legalize it, it is considered poaching because they think that archery equipment does not kill fast enough. Well, I have several videos with deer going down on camera in under 30 seconds (1 dropped, 1 in 15 seconds and 3 under 30 sec) and I hope those videos are enough ammo to help them prove their point and it helps them get out in the field with bow and arrow! The power of the internet is amazing... Du Hast!

·
Registered
292 Posts
They are going to have an uphill battle on legalizing archery. German hunting/fishing laws are entrenched in hundreds of years of tradition and perception (actually most german laws are).

One of the things that brought my father to this country was the goal of having a place to hunt and fish (which he realized in 1984 after 16 years). In Germany just owning land does not grant you the right to hunt or fish on it, those rights are managed and sold separately. And it's not that easy to get a license and place to hunt. Once you become a hunter, it's not just a hobby, you become responsible for managing the wildlife in your designated hunting area and creating and workig to a game management plan. It is a lot of work and quite expensive, and that is even before you buy your first piece of gear.

On the plus side. Being a hunter in Germany is an achievement and distinction... and possibly a profession as you are allowed to sell what you get. On the down side, there isn't the opportunity to do it like there is here.

Whenever I see the complaints on these boards about hunting/gun laws in NJ and "f###'n Jersey", a part of me always thinks of how spoiled we are. For all it's hassles and downsides (the large knucklehead contingent on WMA pheasant stocking day)we still enjoy great hunting opportunity and freedom in this country (and yes, even in NJ) that many in this world do not.

If your interested in a pretty good summary of hunting in Germany, here is an article that I came across a while ago that sums it up pretty nicely.

http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/HTML/articles/2003/HuntingGermany.htm

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
That's some good info bergenguy, thanks for sharing. You're right, we are pretty spoiled when you look at it like that.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right, we are pretty spoiled when you look at it like that.
x2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts