New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone highly recommend a non-electric grinder to be used for venison that can be bought online? A specific model name or link would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ unless you're forking out big money for commercial grade then they are made with junk plastic parts and break. For the amount the average hunter actually uses it in a year for venison the better economic choice is the hand grinder with little parts to actually break and is smaller to store.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have a few of those style grinders but prob 40+ years old. I have 1 rigged to an electric motor, and 1 on a stand hooked to a 5 HP briggs and stratton that will grind up whole frozen mackerel I use for chum. just sharpen the blades and its almost bombproof
But for deer, I use the grinder that hooks on a Kitchen aide mixer

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I bought the big hand meat grinder from Cabelas years ago. I had my Buddy weld a Socket on the end where the Hand crank goes I use a Big Half inch drill and pound out Meat.. its Been working for 11 seasons never a problem every 2-3 years i buy a new blade..

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
^ unless you're forking out big money for commercial grade then they are made with junk plastic parts and break. For the amount the average hunter actually uses it in a year for venison the better economic choice is the hand grinder with little parts to actually break and is smaller to store.
I beg to differ actually. I bought an electric grinder from harbor freight that works awesome. It was only like $56 and the only plastic piece is the shell around the powerful motor. Is it the quietest electric grinder on the market? No. Is it the fastest on the market? No. But it is stainless steel and a cast auger as well. Works awesome for "the average hunter" as you stated. Haven't ever had an issue with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
"unless you're forking out big money for commercial grade then they are made with junk plastic parts and break."

I bought one of the $100 white plastic covered china grinders. Have done about 30 deer with it. My buddy has had one of the same that has seen over 100 deer. one of the better buys I have made. we butcher a bunch of deer 15 -30 after the regular gun season and those two grinders have been chugging along just fine.

this one the current version Kitchener #12 Electric Meat Grinder — 1/2 HP | Electric Meat Grinders| Northern Tool + Equipment

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I put bolt in end of my hand grinder where handle goes and us right angle drill . Watch your fingers use something to push meat in auger . I use plumbers drill ( Milwaukee )on low speed .Ground up many pounds of chop meat. You have to fasten grinder to something stable ,old table or chair. I think mine is an old universal,got to be 40 years old .Did buy new cutter for it. There is a lot on ebay.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I bought an electric one at harbor freight 3 yrs ago for 50 bucks. It has done almost a ton of meat and it works fine. I figured if I got a season out of it I would be happy. Its going on #4

1 - 14 of 14 Posts