New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw (2) velvet rack bucks this morning on my way to work. This was on Passaic Ave at the Livingston/Florham Park border.( I think this is Zone 36, but it might be zone 13) Both were at least 8 points.

I saw the first on the lawn to an industrial building near the edge of a wooded area. I turned around and came back for a better look, but he had already jumped into the cover. I turned around again to proceed on my way. As I passed the wooded area he bolted out 30 yards in front of my truck and crossed the road. I slowed slowed to a crawl to watch him when another comparable buck jumped out 10 yards in front of my truck. If I hadn't slowed down to watch the first buck I would have hit the second one. They were both pushed hard.

The property they are on is watershed for the East Orange Water supply and is heavily posted. There are plenty of houses on the perimeter of this large wooded area. If I lived in one I could hunt the watershed without anyone knowing

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The East Orange watershed has an extensive deer cull thats been going on the last 5 years in Milburn and Livingston.It starts in Dec and ends mid March.They hunt them over bait.While there still are some deer that slip by over all they have taken a major pounding.The place is pretty much barren compared to what it used to be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts