New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out on the northern side of the black river WMA last night scoping out some areas for deer sign and places to use my climber. Only saw 3 deer (as opposed to the 9 I saw in the same area 2 weeks earlier). One small doe and a large 6 point (think i saw him last fall) and a small 4 point, both in velvet. Lots of hunting pressure because archery opens early here.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Black River does get crowded, but I really love that place.

I nailed my first deer there, near the farm field with the electric fence just past the pumpkin field/farm stand. Like a dope I dragged it back over a mile to the lot instead of dragging it to the road, walking back to the car, and driving to the deer :p

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Splitlim - do you work for Fish & Wildlife? they cut some old shrubby fields last year, that's where i have been seeing all the deer when i hike thru the WMA.

i go there last year at opening day archery, 4:35am and there were already 3 cars in the parking lot. early bird catches the bird...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
yes i do work for F&W...It gets hunted prety hard in the early season...but there is alot of ground...You can find an out of the way spot you just have to walk a little furhter than the avarage guy...I do mostly all of my bow hunting on the black river...Ive seen and killed some real nice bucks off the property...What P-lot do you hunt out of cighon

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I park at the lot off Pleasant Hill Rd, east of Flanders Rd. on the north side of the WMA, then walk east in and out of the fields, forests and hedge rows. In January i find the deer down in the swamp when the ice freezes and i can walk on it, else i just find a nice tree to climb and sit in.

I may try Wildcat Ridge this year for early bow.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, no early for Wildcat. Will try for Permit bow.

Hope to get back out to Black River & Wildcat next weekend (Sun) to scope some more areas & animals out...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts