New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to get permission to hunt on water company, pseg, or other utility properties, or are they untouchable?

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
untouchable
That's your answer! Way to many lawsuits against these companies for trespassers injured on their properties-hence they have a standing NO ACCESS policy. That being said, most properties are not patrolled and are overrun by tresspassing poachers during the season

·
Registered
383 Posts
I contacted PSE&G about a 15 acre parcel that they owned which was landlocked and backed up to my parents property, they just never returned my call or letter. I would assume they just didn't want the liability or have to deal with any problems that it might create.

·
Registered
383 Posts
most properties are not patrolled and are overrun by tresspassing poachers during the season
This was exactly the case on this parcel, not only trespassing but the gun club was posting it as if it was theirs!! pretty funny what some people will try and get away with.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
My father is a foreman for First energy ill ask him what the deal is

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
im pretty sure PSEG has a big property in south jersey opened to hunting by special permit

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
i think its over like 2000 acres i'll look it up

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I called corporate about the one near me and I was forwarded to 3 diff people who all said they didnt even know who to ask for permission and the one lady said she didnt like bowhunting etc. and I said I wasnt thier to debate her but to talk to whoever was in charge and finally got someone higher up that said there may be a liability problem and I said I would have my attorney draw up a waiver immediately and was told then he really wasnt sure how he could still officially have the authority grant me permission me to hunt blah blah blah. It got so frustrating I just gave up.

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
as of last yr it was still open pseg bayside tract the new digest isnt out yet but i guess most likely it is open again

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
i deer hunted the pse&g property,bayside tract ,with bow and shotgun,the past 4 years,no problems at all,no permits required.they actually own roughly 4000 acres,lot of cornfields throughout the whole property as well as mature forest.you have to watch the tide chart,the big boys bed down on the islands out in the marshes at low tide and come back into the woods at high tide to feed and that is usually after dark.the locals use canoes to get out there and set up for them.signs are posted at various parking lots around the property listing rules,basically no permanent stands and no deer drives.last season it was still under military patrol

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
bayside tract is in zone 29,it is listed in last years f&g digest under special areas and basically says no deer drives.its right below mad horse wma.i got stopped by a game warden last season walking back to my truck a little after nightfall,he asked me if i seen anything,checked my license and left,no special permit was required.the military patrols bayside tract and alloways creek,both pse&g properties,more alloways creek than anything.so if you see them,we ARE NOT being invaded.lol

·
Registered
327 Posts
Much of the land with PSE&G signs is privately owned and not by them. They generally has unlimited access rights but the farmer/land owner still owns the property!

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Collins pine (forest products company) has 126,000 acres of land near my camp in PA. They let anyone hunt it and have a copperate program with the PA Game Commission.
Most companies in florida with any significant amunt of land do the same thing. They get a propperty tax break from the state for allowing hunters access to the property. The Florida F&W regulates access by limiting the number of permits to each property so its not overcrowded. Its a great plan. I just wish Jersey did somthing like that

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unfortunately you will not get anywhere contacting PSEG directly....for their non-tidal lands that are open to hunting....they generally direct stewardship to the Nature Conservancy...which directs the hunting program and management objectives. So if anything call your local chapter and ask if their are any utility lands that they manage and allow hunting on. Remember...unlike the communists that run Sierra Club NJ chapter...the Nature Conservancy is open to hunting as a management tool..and I have hunted on property they control in NY for years with great success. They are more science based in their management than the other organizations....to many geese ...deer overbrowsing...they will absolutely consider hunting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts