New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooked up some turkey and chickens in my deep fryer.
While pouring the used oil into the containers to throw out. I spilled some on the ground. Today I went out to find some thing tore up the ground, probably a coon or skunk. Got me thinking a couple of gallons would last a while and probably make good bear attractant. What is everyone's opinion on it.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It is an excellent bear bait. I baited bears in Alaska with a buddy of mine. We would go to all local restaurants and ask for their old fryer oil. The best thing to do is pour it all around your bait site. As animals come in to investigate the site they get the oil all over their feet. As they leave the site they track the oil leaving a scent dispersing trail right to your bait site. It is a well used tactic at bear camps in Canada and Alaska.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
It is an excellent bear bait. I baited bears in Alaska with a buddy of mine. We would go to all local restaurants and ask for their old fryer oil. The best thing to do is pour it all around your bait site. As animals come in to investigate the site they get the oil all over their feet. As they leave the site they track the oil leaving a scent dispersing trail right to your bait site. It is a well used tactic at bear camps in Canada and Alaska.
EXACTLY!!!![up] Save some for me too!;)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Another tactic is to suspend some type of bait tied between 2 trees with cable or chain. Rig the bait at different height levels 5',6',7' etc. Be sure to rig it so the only way the bear can get the bait is by grabbing it directly and not climbing anything to get it. This will help you determine the size of the bear visiting your site. Trail cams are good but sometimes pix can be deceiving. One of the best baits aside from the traditional sweets and stuff is a rotten beaver carcass. For some reason bears up north love beaver carcasses. Not sure how they'd feel about them down here but if you can get one let it get good and rotten and nail it high up in a tree.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Jerseyhunter you should be locked up for giving up such a guarded secret. I have 5 Canadian hunts under my belt or is it under my shoes? what ever, anyway I use to start collecting the grease from all the chicken places around my area. Use to fill up 40 to 50 gallons of the stuff, and then mix it with molasses. Guides up there in Canada use to turn there noses up and tell me not to contaminate their baits with that junk. Well guess who use to get the first bear every year? you go it Toyota ME. After that they use to call me ahead of time to bring some of the power bait to the Raritan show so they could start baiting early for us. A good way to do it is to put it in a milk jug, put a couple of holes in the bottom with a nail and hang it high of a tree branch. The sun warms it up and it drips slow to the ground. Try it, you will have all the bears in your yard within a week[up]

B

·
0 Posts
The guide I use in New Brunswick Canada first use a mix of meat and bread, then slowly takes the meat out, and the bears love the bread

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
I use bacon juice that i bought on www.Bearscents.com..You will not believe how good this works..We have had bears on my bait pile within an hour of spraying it..If you are into baiting bears you should definetly check out this website...
I like their hickory smoke and jelly donut. Bacon must be new, I don't think I saw that last year.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Is baiting bears in NJ legal?

Sure is. You just can't be elevated over it or in a blind within 300 feet.
Let's not forget a deer's gut pile is considered baiting, whether done intentinaly or not. Also you cannot shoot a deer and leave it and continue hunting, you must tag it and drag it at least the 300' away from your stand, then gut it. Just a heads up so no one gets in trouble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts