New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This site seems like there are a lot of New Englanders. They talk a lot about Grouse and Woodcock. There are also a couple links for bird dogs too.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't remember if I registered to post on the forums. I don't think I did. Sorry, I can't help you with this one.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just registered and i cant edit my profile or post/reply to topics...why? did this happen to you?
I just registered now. I can't post or reply either. I see venisoneater can though.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
They make you wait a few days while the administrator of the site approves your forum membership...

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that sucks, but I guess it is good too. I like that sight.
Jim, I see you are with the Rock Tavern Chapter. I should be seeing you in the spring. I'll be taking my pup to the clinics. Just got my NAVHDA packet the other day.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You are going to really enjoy it! Very well run and alot of help. It's always better when you have an unbiased viewer giving you tips and techniques. I found it indispensible. If I had attempted to train with just the aid of books and videos I don't think I would be this far along...

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately they don't start until spring, but I am going to start when I get her. She comes on the 27th. The NAVHDA video makes it seem easy. I will stick with that until the clinics.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Mike there is a guy who runs the training clinics... his name is Bob. He also runs private clinic during the hunting season down at Colliers Mills. It might be wise to meet with him a couple of times when you get ready. He's like the guru trainer... I call him the dog whisperer. He really knows his shit... If you are interested let me know...
Jim

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My experience was that I needed more training then the dog. And at the very least he helped me minimize my mistakes.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jim, I'll let you know. How much does he cost? Do the clinics cost anything?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
After you pay your chapter dues the only cost is for the birds you buy to train with. I usually buy 2-3 quail which are $7.00. $6.00 for the bird a dollar for the club. But you don't have to buy any bird traps, bird bags etc.. The club provides all that.
The private clinics are very reasonable. With the puppies it is not long extensive training sessions maybe an hour tops. It's important to keep it fun. Do yourself a favor and let Bob help you introduce the gun... VERY IMPORTANT. Depending on how much work he does with you and the pup I would say in the neighborhood of $20-$40

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Intro to the gun is what I am going to need help with. That is the one thing I really don't want to mess up.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jim, keep checking your email, because I have a feeling I will be emailing you a lot. I'll be picking your mind.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
we should meet up with Bob down at Colliers Mills one Sunday. Nugbuk and I are planning on going down pretty soon... I'll let you know when we go.

The first time a gun was fired near my dog... The pup was chasing a quail with a long streamer hanging from it's leg and we fired a blank pistol from about 15-20 yds away. He never flinched... his attention was totally directed on the bird. We did this a couple of times and this is where help is important. You keep the dog happy and excited and someone else pulls the trigger. It's just a great bunch of people and I think you'll find the resource of their collective knowledge very very beneficial.

Jim

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jim, do you think a pup could possibly be ready for birds at a preserve the end of March/ begining of April? I keep reading things about dogs getting birds by 6 months old. Or do you think I am just hopeful? I am not going to push her too hard. I know all dogs are different.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm not sure Mike... If your gonna have 3 guys shooting 12 ga. shotguns over her at a hightailing pheasant. I would say NO. If it's just you and she has been properly introduced to the gun and has had some just plain old bird chasing under her belt (no shooting) then maybe. I was shooting quail over my dog this summer at 6 and 7 months. But that was 1 or 2 birds in very controlled surroundings. My dog is 10 months old and I have yet to shoot a bird over him in a true hunting experience. Though we have tried... just haven't found any birds yet [mad]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts