New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took today off from work as we have a service call in on our washing machine. And was hoping to be in my stand all morning. Well, the Pouring rain this morning had me dropping my daughter off at Day Care at 7 am (I usually do this, but my wife will do it if I am going to hunt the morning). As I am driving home the rain is getting less and less, damn!! The deer are probably just starting to move after the rainy night. I decide to drive up to the property that I hunt that is right next to the house just for a look. I get there about 7:40 and on the way in the drive way I see three doe in the apples! I back down the driveway (not easy) and head home with plans of trying to stalk to them.

So I work my way up the corn field to when I can see the apples. The deer are still there. These are the same three doe that I have been seeing since opening day, but keep eluding me. One is the matriarch and is much bigger than the other two, but even the other two are nice. So, the corn is about 40 yards at it's closest to the deer and I am about 100 yards away from that spot. I head in the corn about 3 rows and start making my way closer to the deer. As I get to about 20 yards from the spot I want to be, one doe looks up and right at me. Damn!!! I freeze and she just stares. The wind is in my face so they cannot smell me, but I know she can see my face (no mask or paint)I don't move, but now one of the other does starts looking as well, and she is a little more concerned. She stomps a few times, does the head bob, then she turns and the other two follow her back into the woods. Stalk over at about 60 yards.

What was interesting was that it was the two younger 2+ year olds (I have been watching these three since last winter)that were leading the alert. The older doe just kept on feeding until the youngsters ran off. One of my goals for the season is to harvest the older doe because I think she runs off a lot of other deer. I know I can get her during winter bow because I had her patterned pretty well last year, but right now it is tough because there are too many food choices on the property, apples, acorns and corn!! Well, soon enough all three of them will be done and she will be back to her old pattern.

-dan

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I think I would have had fun doing that. I can't think of the last time I actually stalked a deer.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Awesome, stalks are exciting!

I get excited just reading it. [up]

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Just a silly question for you, why didn't you have your headnet on?

Great story anyway.

David

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't wear a headnet, I usually paint my face. In my haste to get up to the spot, I changed, grabbed my bow and ran. I should have gone a few more rows back and came out in a different spot, probably would have had a shot then. May try again tonight to see if they are back in the spot.

-dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts