New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to give everyone that owns a Traditions Buckstalker a heads-up on a unsafe condition. I never had a problem with this riffle before and this just came out of no where. The gun fired when I closed the breach. I called Traditions and notified them about it and they weren't too concerned. They did offer to fix it for $60 if I paid for the shipping.

I posted a video on YouTube so check it out if you own one.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Both my brother and I started out on a traditions buckstalker, and THEY BOTH did the same thing! We thought that we weren't doing something right because we had just started out using muzzleloaders, but it did it a 3rd time at the range and just about broke my finger! After that, I went and bought a brand new TC encore prohunter and my brother bought a TC triumph. Now those buckstalkers stay in the safe

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking about doing the same thing because I don't trust the gun now. Even if they fix it how long will it last? I might have 100 rounds through it.

I did see a recall for one of the TC's but I can't remember which one.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the same thing because I don't trust the gun now. Even if they fix it how long will it last? I might have 100 rounds through it.

I did see a recall for one of the TC's but I can't remember which one.
Don't risk it, the buckstalkers are cheap muzzys, put it in the safe and leave it, buy a new one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
seems that with the hamer not cocked, the firing pin is protruding out from the face of the breach block and dimpling/firing the primer. will this happen if the hammer is cocked and the breach closed? just speculating, but a serious problem. glad no one got hurt.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i just looked at a parts schematic for the buckhorn. it shows a transfer bar in front of the hammer. if im not mistaken this will prevent the firing pin from being hit by the hammer when the trigger is not pulled. when the trigger is pulled the transfer bar rises up and allows the hammer to strike the firing pin. i bet the problem lies there. but im not a gunsmith, but was a machinist, get that back to traditions along with that vid.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I would email them the video , and tell them you know your gun isnt the only one having the issue.
They should be fixing it for free.
Good thing you didnt get hurt using it

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was scary for me and the guy sitting next to me when it went off!

I did call Traditions but there is no recall so they will fix it but I have to pay.

The thing that bothers me is that when I went through the manual it doesn't say anything about cleaning this area. In fact Traditions customer service recommends that you send it back to them for repair. They said it may be a broken spring or just carbon build up.

There is no law that will make gun manufacturers responsible for and unsafe gun.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Email them the video and let them know you will pursue the issue with the press. CC your lawyer on the email. (If you don't have a lawyer just make one up or look one up from the phone book) I'll guarantee they will fix the gun for free.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
The safety only locks the trigger. If the hammer is not cocked........then chances are that your firing pin is protruding through the breechface. When you close the action; BANG.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Personally for what a decent modern MZ costs I would cut that thing up and trash it if purchased out of state, or if purchased in NJ which I would never do with a MZ, put the pieces in a box and stick in the attic or basement. I would never trust that thing again, regardless of where it was repaired.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I know it makes no difference because the gun should never go off like that, but I'm curious if you played with the level of intensity of closing the gun? It looks like you really slammed it in there. Does it do it on a soft close? If its closed and you stomp the but in the ground(like if it fell out a tree) will it go off?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I know it makes no difference because the gun should never go off like that, but I'm curious if you played with the level of intensity of closing the gun? It looks like you really slammed it in there. Does it do it on a soft close? If its closed and you stomp the but in the ground(like if it fell out a tree) will it go off?

Wondering this too. I never close the action on my break action guns that forcefully, though it should still not fire. I have a traditions "some-thing-or-other" lying around that I picked up cheap at Cabelas on a whim. Guess it's time to take a closer look...thanks.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Wow! Good heads up and great video! What does it take, someone getting killed before that dumb ass company issues recalls and major warnings!!! Good case in point to always follow the most important rule in firearms safety......keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction until ready to fire!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts