New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great day to be an archer and sportsman in Union County! After years of discussions, meetings, plans, meetings, and more meetings....we finally broke ground at the former Oak Ridge Golf Course in Clark. Mike Tully of the Individual Archers of Union County had a vision of an archery range and the dream has become a reality. On Saturday May 16, a team of 25+ volunteers gathered to build what will become the finest public archery range in New Jersey! The range is being built entirely by volunteer members of the following groups: The Cranford Rod and Gun Club, United Bowhunters of NJ (Tony Bretones-Union County Rep.), Mike Tully and Associates, Luis Sarmiento Jr. and Sr. (Accurate Fence), Traditional Archers of NJ, 4H, Boy Scouts, Individual Archers of Union County, Linden Sportsmen Club and members of the Union County Dept. of Public Works and Parks. We will have a range with 22 shooting lanes (To 90 meters), observation benches, a picnic area, bathroom facilities and handicapped accessability. The Freeholder Board has welcomed the archers and has been supportive from day 1...because the spokesmen of the various sportsmen groups educated them on the benefits of an archery range and its operation in their own back yard.
Great stuff!
Volunteers are the driving force behind this project and by this time next week, I will hopefully post pictures of the finished range...until then, here are a few from day 1 groundbreaking.

8:00 AM The Start of a Dream!

500 Feet of 4x4 fence posts/3 foot deep holes.

Getting it Done! God Bless the Sarmientos-Accurate Fence!

Lunch Time!

Mike Tully and John Gallagan "Safety Perimeter"

Teens & Scouts Helping

5:00PM Day 1 Complete: 500 ft. of fence posts installed, 4 bow racks installed, signs installed, 4 benches installed (Lunch-20 pounds of sausage and peppers, 40 hot dogs, 20 pounds of Venison Keilbasa/Kraut, 4 cases of water).

Next week: 600 feet of split rail fence and stockade fence installation and final touches.
Ray

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
my pops helped out on that job with my grandfather ....hes the old fart with the green shirt in the fourth pic with the other old fart tony ..... i thought they were bustin my chops about a archery range in union county

·
Registered
551 Posts
great job, guys. it almost sounds like an impossibility to have this done in a public park in nj, in union county, no less. hats off to you guys. sounds corny, but an inspiration for what can actually be done if you try hard enough.

this is that golf course along the conrail tracks? near scotch plains? will it be some sort of archery club? brian.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Way to go guys[up] Looks and sounds awsome[up]

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I have some free time coming up this weekend... if you need more hands, let me know.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
I have some free time coming up this weekend... if you need more hands, let me know.
They do, give Tony a call...[up]

Next Saturday May the 23 we hope to finish the project. At this time I'm asking for help for the 23. We were short handed on the 16 and we all worked like dogs. Special thank you to Ray Szpond and his club for providing the lunch and plenty of water. My apologies if I forgot anyone.

Please if your going to attend give me a call at (908) 241-8215. Remember this is going to be your place to shoot any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Great Dubs, the more hands the faster we can finish and start using it!

Come on Guy/Gals lets get this done! Even if its for a few minutes, any amount of time will help!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Great job to all those who helped!![up][up][up]

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To All,
We are going to bring together as many people as possible on Saturday May 23rd to get this range completed. We will start at 8:00AM and work until completion. Lunch at 12:30.
Even if you could spend an hour helping, it would be much appreciated!
See everyone Saturday
Ray

1 - 16 of 16 Posts