New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy Uncle Ted really knows how to put things!

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
he's wrong again

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how he could be wrong. anything that attracts deer to a spot is some form of bait. Why do you think the rut is the most popular time to hunt? The does coming into estrous are baiting the big bucks out of hiding.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I agree with most of what Ted said, however, does he really believe that a rub line is "bait"? A natural scrape is "bait"? A FUNNEL is "bait"?

Even he didn't seem like he really believed that last one! He may have to keep convincing himself of that.

You can't just put these things out where ever you want, and they don't disrupt NATURAL deer movement. THEY ARE NATURAL deer movement!

I support other hunters, but lets not lie to each other. Dumping a pile of corn out in the woods is not the same exact thing as finding a rub line or a funnel.

bait 1 (bt)
n.
a. Food or other lure placed on a hook or in a trap and used in the taking of fish, birds, or other animals.
b. Something, such as a worm, used for this purpose.
2. An enticement; a temptation.
3. Archaic A stop for food or rest during a trip.
v. bait·ed, bait·ing, baits
v.tr.
1. To place a lure in (a trap) or on (a fishing hook).
2. To entice, especially by trickery or strategy.
3. To set dogs upon (a chained animal, for example) for sport.
4. To attack or torment, especially with persistent insults, criticism, or ridicule.
5. To tease.
6. To feed (an animal), especially on a journey.
v.intr. Archaic
To stop for food or rest during a trip.
As you can see by the definition, "bait" mostly refers to "feeding". Although, I'll even give you the scents and other lures.

However, rublines, scrapes (natural) and funnels? Come on...quit standing so close to the amplifiers Uncle Ted![rofl]

·
Registered
17,065 Posts
Good video, as always. [up][up] As Ted says, bottom line is to "support" your fellow hunter's choice of legal methods of hunting, and work "together" against the "real" hunting enemy, the ANTIs. [up][up]

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was why I posted this Kathy. Although I think he is reaching with a few of the "baiting points" he is trying to make. If it is a legal method, whether we like it or not. We should not try to put down another hunter who uses it.
As he put it if we worked together we would CRUSH the anti movement[up] True words were never spoken!

·
Registered
17,065 Posts
As he put it if we worked together we would CRUSH the anti movement True words were never spoken!
Indeed, John, this is why I also commented. [up][up]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
That was why I posted this Kathy. Although I think he is reaching with a few of the "baiting points" he is trying to make. If it is a legal method, whether we like it or not. We should not try to put down another hunter who uses it.
As he put it if we worked together we would CRUSH the anti movement True words were never spoken!
How true.

My only problem with "reaching" at points, is it is clear to most people, that he is either stretching the truth or lying. That causes the person "reaching" to lose credibility.

You're manipulating the facts or outright lying to sell your point. Very bad!

Don't change the facts around or alter definitions to promote something! That's what anti's do! Let them stick with their ridiculous tactics. In the end, people see through lies.

Just state the facts and quit grasping at straws to try and unite us. It will work the opposite way.

If people will say, hey look, yeah sure, baiting in some instances is much easier than other methods, but it's legal and I don't have a lot of time, that method allows me to enjoy the sport. GREAT...I'll support that.

Or, hey, I can't shoot a vertical bow that well and I'd like to use a crossbow, it's going to be easier and allow me to enjoy the sport. AWESOME! I'll support that.

It's when we "reach" for these comparisons, which demean more challenging methodology that you begin to make enemies within our own ranks.

Basically what I'm saying is...Don't feed me a bunch of BS about how hunting in a funnel is no different than corn being shot out of a feeder everyday at 5:30pm. Or how every weapon is equal because the deer is dead at the end of the hunt. That will NOT gain you my trust. In fact, it does the opposite, I lose respect for people that want to lie to the others within their sport.

Recognize the differences and be honest about them.

We can and should support each other, but we have to be honest with each other as well!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
WEL SAID"Good video, as always. As Ted says, bottom line is to "support" your fellow hunter's choice of legal methods of hunting, and work "together"
against the "real" hunting enemy, the ANTIs."

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
On the other hand, the subject of baiting is used against us hunters. When non-hunters are surveyed, most find baiting to be unethical. That remains true even when those respondents that are against hunting are taken out of the equation. It is a tool of the anti's to turn non-hunters against us.

I attended public hearings when a new "Special Area" hunt was being proposed, treestands over bait. NJDFW had to all but admit that it was unethical. But, they stated it was a neceassary method to help cull the deer herd in this suburban area. So, then, why apply it statewide?

Its legal here in NJ, and I won't bad-mouth my fellow hunters. But, I sure find the sight of old, moldy bait piles disgusting, and I don't understand it. Maybe I'm just too old. Lol.

I remember driving around in my first car, a '67 Mercury Montclair, with Nugent's Cat Scratch Fever blasting from the 8-track. But, I think Nugent is one those people who feel that they are always right, and if you disagree with him you are wrong and stupid.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
lets see. a scrape attracts other deer to check it out. pretty clear to me. a funnel attracts deer because of its ease of escape and cover compared to being in the open. pretty clear to me.
So where can I buy a big old burlap bag of funnel?

I don't want to go out and find a funnel, I'd prefer to just spread some funnel down in front of my stands to attract deer!

Seeing as the deer put the scrape there, maybe THEY'RE BAITING US?!!!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Matty...Well said, each post.

Uncle Ted has his good points but he sure does come off ignorant and arrogant most of the time. I personally don't feel he is a good spokesperson for hunting.

·
Registered
10,660 Posts
Or how every weapon is equal because the deer is dead at the end of the hunt.
Not every weapon is equal, but you can argue that the end result is the same. Whether I'm shooting buckshot or a bow & arrow, the end goal is to put backstraps on the grill :D

Also think that your experience is what you put into it and what you want to get out of it. There are lots of reasons why people hunt... to put food on the table, to manage animal populations, to put antlers on the wall, to spend time outdoors and many others. Is it the same experience to kill a deer over a big corn pile or with a crossbow vs. hunting natural deer movement or with a stickbow? Definitely. And is it harder and take more dedication to be proficient with traditional archery eqiup compared to a hunting with a crossbow? Certainly. But to the outside world we're all the same, hunters, regardless of the hunting experience.

For me, I hunt and fish because I want to spend time outside with friends & family. If I kill a deer or catch a fish that's a bonus and I eat well.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.