New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had another work party today up at Deerpath, and I have to thank the guys for their hard, sweaty, nasty work cutting down the olive trees for the ground nesting bird restoration project. I cannot thank them enough for the tremendous job they did and the equipment they brought up to help! As always Tony Bretones led the charge with his Cuba Libre Team of Luis Samiento, Junior and Sr. and Alberto Garafalo. As Tony put it, I did not come to this country to cut the f&#king trees! Honestly the guys love it being outdoors and doing something to help the eco-system. The rest of the crew consisted of Steve Herasymchuck, Joe Lyga, Sam Maggio, Mike Kopp, Mike Marzo, Oliver Grimsdall, and Jim Dalioso. Since March, UBNJ has provided over 215 volunteer manhours to the New Jersey Audubon Society, It's stewardship programs like this that is opening doors for more places to bowhunt and these guys deserve a pat on the back!

Jack Spoto
Deer management Coordinator

PS: Is there someone I can e-mail the pictures to that will post them????

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
good job once again guys[up] was there any UXBNJ guys involved[eyeroll]....[hihi][hihi] sorry jack i had too:p

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
You guys dont know what your doing letting those "Cuban Refugees" cut trees. All they know is how to cut sugar cane.LOL Just kidding[rofl][rofl]Great Bunch of Guys Ive known Luis and His Father All my life Good Guys[up][up]And as For Tony I think he lost my number again:p Is a matter of fact Luis Jr. Mounted my first Buck hes preety Good at it too...

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love those guys too! Tony, Luis Jr and Sr they;re at every work party. Building archery ranges or cutting down olives trees! Luis Sr, is 74 years young and you can't stop the man! He a tough old bird, then again most guys who fled Cuba, for the liberty they enjoy here, know what it's like to meet adversity in the face and they're damn glad for their freedom, they've earned it! Most of us were giving our freedom by someone else's blood! Think about that!!!!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Jack and fellow bowhunters. The stewardship program you are helping with is not only providing habitat for small area grassland wildlife, but will also enhance the wildlife viewing experience for Bethlehem Township residents and visitors to the sanctuary.

The roughly 15 acre Turkey Hill Preserve Grassland (generally known as Turnquist Grassland) has historically been a livestock graze. As with most fields left fallow, grassland succession began to occur. While successional habitat (scrub/shrub) habitat is important wildlife habitat, eastern grasslands, barrens and savannas rank as on of the 21 most endangered ecosystems in the United States. In New Jersey grassland habitat is particularly vulnerable. Maintaining the Turkey Hill Preserve Grassland as an open field/meadow also provides another critical feature for wildlife – native wildflowers. Pollinator habitat is also in decline as are many pollinator species (particularly bees). While NJAS would normally allow a healthy forest succession given the surrounding forest landscape, succession at the Turkey Hill Preserve Grassland is largely a product of non-native invasive species and although the non-native species provide habitat cover and food, for wildlife (vertebrates and invertebrates) it is the difference between eating your broccoli versus eating a Hershey bar. Naturally the Hershey bar is pretty darn good, but it doesn’t do a lot for building sufficient energy reserves for fall migration.

Thanks to the assistance and dedication of United Bowhunters of New Jersey, NJAS is able to reclaim the grassland as open field/meadow habitat. Following the removal of the large woody stems, the entire field will be brush hogged to remove invasive vegetation. The grassland will then be placed on a maintenance mowing schedule which will encourage the native wildflower and grasses. Eagle Scouts will be putting the trail system in place as well as putting up several bluebird boxes, an owl box and a bat box. Already on site orioles, thrushes, woodcocks, finches and a number of more common species have been observed. There is the potential to attract additional species, such as the Savannah Sparrow, a threatened species in NJ, which we know are breeding in nearby Heritage Park.

So, thank you again gentleman for your tremendous help in restoring this grassland. We certainly couldn’t have done it without you! The good news is – I am all out of huge projects so the next round is just going for a walk along the trails, and carrying your clippers!

A letter from the Conservation Ecologist for NJAS

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Knocking down "Olive and Multiflora" in July!!!!!

That for anyone who has not done that job or made firewood in summer is Chain Gang kinda work HARD sweaty and mean, hats off to that crew for sure!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Just saw this thread...great job[up][up]. This is the kind of stuff that keeps lands open and a welcome flag out. These men that came out to work show that they can give back as a show of appreciation.
Gotta love Tony Bretones, our UBNJ Union County Rep, and the Sarmientos...they put men half their age to shame in a work detail and those are the guys I would want on my team day in and day out. They don't get any better!

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
You were there in early April, when the work was hard enough, this time it was 3 times worse with everything being overgrown and being Hot!
I know ,what I didn't do on my own place in April I ended up doing now with more to come including firewood one day this past week I had 25 ticks attached to me when I got done cutting M.F.Rose and recageing tree seedlings so yeah I know what I'm talking about.
My inspection was this past thursday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.