New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Brenda hunting this morning and it turned out to be an action packed morning, As daybreak came We had Gobblers all around us. Once they started pitching down, I didn't know with way to turn.
We picked out a Longbeard that was with two jakes and I told her to take it....'CLICK'...Good thing we were in a blind...In a state of panic she handed me the gun, I jacked out the shell and handed it back to her, She took aim again and 'BANG'. Birds flew in all directions!!

All this was caught on video ! [up]

I took her back home and went out on my own, As soon as I got out of the truck at around 8:00 I heard a gobbler He was HOT!! I grabbed my gear and set-up in a patch of cedars. When I hit the call he double Gobbled and came straight at me, the next time he gobbled he had cut the distance in half.
Soon I had him in the video camera. As he approached I panned back to give me time to shoulder the gun and fire,, As soon as I moved the barrel he spotted me and started to get out of Dodge. I shot and ROLLED HIM! He flopped around for a couple of seconds and then got his feet under himself and took off !!![wallmad][wallmad]I couldn't get another shoot so I chased him but when he went over the ridge we were on,, he disappeared !!![wallmad]
I searched for an hour and a half and never found him ![wallmad] A great morning turned sour in a hurry!

We should have both gotten LongBeards this morning !

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
[up] Great job. Are you making a video for sale this year or just for yourself? I would love to see all these hunts.

Congrats.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Congratulations to Brenda [up]
Mike, so sorry for your loss :(

You BOTH still had an action packed morning, and it sounds like you had a terrific time at it too . . .

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Congrats to Brenda and Mike.........you are the Master. You will have one in your sights in no time[up]

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Congrats on Brenda's bird and sorry to hear about the one that got away. I am sure he was wearing his pellet proof vest so don't beat yourself up:D tHEY ARE TOUGH BIRDS.

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All these birds you get how do you prepare the meat?
A number of ways..
I like to bake the breast in the oven till med/rare then slice thin, place in pan and cover with Turkey Gravy and simmer on stove top till done, Serve over toast or as is .
My favorite is to smoke the breast meat, slice it thin and serve on a hard roll with fresh tomatoe from the garden and mayo. Yum-Yum.
Deep fryed whole turkey in a turkey frier is good stuff too, along with turkey nuggets in a pan.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what happened in the blind was it a bad shell?
I don't know for sure but I suspect it was because she loaded the gun as quitely as she could and the slide bolt wasn't tight enough since it didn't slam shut !
I also suspect, the bolt may need to be disassembled and the spring and fireing pin cleaned and oiled good.
It's a Browning Gold 20 Ga.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Hey Double G let me know if you need any help culling out any of those pesky birds where you hunt!!![rofl] Nice job Brenda!!![up][up][up]:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts