New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some of you guys keep asking to learn to clean a turtle so I took some pics .I only took a few due to the fact that I didnt want to destroy my camera .I cleaned two of the 5 that I have .It took less then 40 minutes each to do including skinning the head .I couldnt help but think of tom e. while doing this as I was going thru the inside of the first one .
step 1.
I like to hang the turtle and let the weight of its body strech his neck out ,once his neck is fully streched I cut his head off by using a sharp knife .let turtle bleed for about 5 min. while bleeding put head in bucket ,it can and will still bite for the next couple days ,as a kid we used to put them in the garden to get the local cats .

step 2.
Now that the turtle has no head he is basicly harmless ,he can still scratch you.lay turtle on its back and begin cutting around the shell till the skin is away from the shell ,take a sturdy knife and pop the joint that holds the bone to the shell ,it sometimes takes a little effort .

step 3.
pull legs out of shell and set aside for later skinning continue the same on the front end of turtle till all is out of shell

step 4.
you should now be left with 2 sets of meat that is gonna need skinning ,turtles have tough skin so keep a sharp knife.

skin each leg as you would any other critter ,turtles are easy to skin w/ a sharp knife

you are now ready to cut the meat off

once you cut the meat off you are set to start cooking ,I am sitting here sampling some that I deep fried in cajun seasoning ,We dont waste much on our turtles the nails we give to some ole blue grass pickers that make necklaces out of them and sell ,these shells are going to my wifes school for the science class's ,and the skulls we all keep as a trophy

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
interesting, good post! and good to see all of the animal is used [up]

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
That's cool man. I love to see how guys do things different from the way we do. We usually cut the jet off then take the legs and neck off. I'm trying the necklace idea this year as well, they're all dried out and ready to go we just have to make them. Just remember anyone that wants to try this, just be careful and take your time, the main thing to do is stay away from the head and you'll be ok. [up][up]

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
main thing to do is stay away from the head and you'll be ok.
the guy I went w/ came over and I was showing him how to hold one buy the head ,I was hoping he was gonna try to lip it ,lol.
If you look at the shell in my other post one has a flat spot on it in the center ,he is gonna be my new clock .I am using shell brass for the numbers

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
catfish. if you could spare a claw or 2 id love to have some! i have a lil pouch an indian made for me in south dakota about 5 years ago, its sorta a good luck thing, i have a piece of antler, turkey spur, pheasant spur, crow talon, fox claw, coyote claw etc in there a turtle claw would be perfect, let me know THANKS

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
the guy I went w/ came over and I was showing him how to hold one buy the head ,I was hoping he was gonna try to lip it ,lol.
If you look at the shell in my other post one has a flat spot on it in the center ,he is gonna be my new clock .I am using shell brass for the numbers
That would've been interesting!! [rofl][rofl] I did see that one and was thinking about the clock cause you mentioned it before. Do you have one already? I would like to see it.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
catfish. if you could spare a claw or 2 id love to have some! i have a lil pouch an indian made for me in south dakota about 5 years ago, its sorta a good luck thing, i have a piece of antler, turkey spur, pheasant spur, crow talon, fox claw, coyote claw etc in there a turtle claw would be perfect, let me know THANKS
pm me your adress I will send some out to you this week

Do you have one already?
nope ,an ole time turtler has one ,that is where I got the idea

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So there is no "gutting" entrails come out with the legs
not much at all ,most is inside the shell

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.