New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
dragthor, tuesday no gobbles until 10:00 then a distant gobble. i started to call about 10:15 for the first time. the gobbles were behind and to my left then to the right. about 11:30 a gobbler apeared on a gr [no swearing please] ridge then two more one being a jake. at 11:45 the jake hung back and the two gobblers were milling around together eyeballing my decoys. at one point i had both heads lined up finaly they seperated and cleared the decoys. i picked the largest beard it was a toss up. rem sp mag ten turkey barrel #5 heavy shot spoke. number two turkey tagged. last monday tagged out by 6:00 from the same blind. both birds 19# 9" beards and 1" spurs zone 5. next monday will move to my secound blind and the field will be freshley plowed maybe planted. bob

·
Registered
534 Posts
I've taken four (4) birds between 11:30, and high noon. You just have to be where THEY want to be. :D

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The main question I need to know concerning turkey hunting is what kind of jobs does everyone have and how can I apply. You guys must have great jobs to always be turkey hunting.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... I work for a company based in Denver, CO... so I am on "Denver time".... which means I can hunt until about 9/9:30 AM...then go to work.

Denver is two hours behind NJ.

However, I can only hunt mornings... no afternoons for me come deer season. [down]

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I just hunt when I can...This is a tuff time of year for me to take off...so most days i'm out of the woods at 7[down]

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Do you guy put your birds to bed at night. If you aren't seeing them till later in the morning, then where are they between the roost and your spot at say 11:00 am. They have to be somewhere. I know most animals, humans included need a drink after a long nights sleep. Have you ever watched domestic poultry. This may give you some clues to the wild ones. Learn the animals and you will enjoy the hunt more. Find drainage ditches where you hunt and walk these in the area the birds are coming from. It is quiet and you can't shock gooble or cutt and purr to finds there location. This method has worked for me here local, Virginia and West Virginia. This is not stalking, it's locating and the most important part in my opinion.

Till our trails cross,

Ryan

PS keep it simple. Go light, no decoys, just gun, camo, slate and peg. You'd be surprised! Decoys make them strut and stay back in most cases. Calling in any animal produces curousity.

·
Registered
453 Posts
derome, i am 67 and retired at 64 so i have 5 weekday permits for 6 weeks of season. i only hunt monday and wednesday/friday if required. i dont want to get sloppy or burned out. after turkey is over at 12:00 i woodchuck hunt for an hour or two. tuesday and thursday i run my german shorthairs and woodchuck hunt. saturday and sunday i do this and that or hike the railroad trails with my dogs. your turn will come. bob kudile

1 - 11 of 11 Posts