New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I third...gotta start killing more coyotes as well as other nest robbing, bird killing vermin!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I live in the western part of Zone 3 and I see hens practically every day...eating along the road. I think the problem with my particular area is the lack of open space. Water and woods aplenty, just not so much area for nesting.

I suspect this is why they like the yards like mine that butt up against watershed property. It's not unusual to see a pair of hens walking the young ones out of the woods on a field trip.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But at one time didn't those areas not to long ago hold a very high population of birds? or was it in the lower northern zones?

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
But at one time didn't those areas not to long ago hold a very high population of birds? or was it in the lower northern zones?
Yep...My area( 2 and 4 mainly) used to be full of birds. But I also used to shoot over 100 ***** with the hounds and trap nearly as many with snares.
My average Fox take was around 50/60 a year and Coyotes weren't as abundant.
We had so many birds that I volunteered my Turkeys to be trapped and transferred to other parts of the state, (areas 14 15 20 21 etc.) Alot of my birds went south so to speak.
That is also another reason why we have permits available,,Hunters from other areas use to come here to hunt, Now they have birds near them .

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I can say is THANKS LOL I was thinking of heading up there think I may stay south! I mean there no birds here! lol

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I was just in zone 1 friday, and was able to spot two hens. I also found a very large active coyote den very easily too. That was all in about an hour.

This will be my first year hunting there.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
the bird numbers that low
come on i am seeing a lot of birds not Close Enough [wallmad][wallmad][wallmad]to get one i suck at calling but i am seeing them i seen 4 toms today

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of turkeys taken out of my tree stand 3or4 years ago this year I was lucky to see a groupe of 7 from my stand which is in turkey zone 4

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
i hunted the water gap last yr in worthington state forest saw all hens from 4 to 9 at one time no gobblers 4 yrs ago i always got a bird there i didnt even bother this yr

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Im in Zone 6 and only going out for the 2nd time this Sat. Reading these posts are getting me down:(

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
remember just because numbers are low does not mean you won't get a bird if you do the work.

I saw that only 15% get birds I do not know if this is fact or not. I settled for a small bird last week and it was very good to night.

I would love to hear the turkeys gobble in the hills
being from the flat ground that is something I want to do if I kill one even better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts