New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I applied for this zone for the fall season. The spring part of the season I'll be in zone 14. If I get a chance to get to one of the offices perhaps I can pick up an additonal permit for zone 2 for the spring hunt.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard a few on opening day of trout. I'm gonna be hunting up there on saturdays with a member of my hunting club. I didn't know he had that permit until our game dinner the other night. It turns out, he is the vice pres of NWTF in New Jersey. I'm a decent turkey hunter but it can't hurt to hunt with a guy like that!!:D

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
State... and federal. There are plenty of WMA's and federal land up there. I actually went through there today and saw a tom and three hens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hunted Zone #2 both Monday and Tuesday. Monday heard lots of Gobbling and saw 3 birds,no shots. Tuesday heard 1 gobble far off. And got a nice sunburn. Bugs were fierce!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's supposed to rain saturday but I'm gonna go out anyway. I'm not sure what effect rain has on turkeys but I'll find out.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Rain seems to keep them down if it's a downpour. I hunted once where it was thundering and the birds were gobbling each time it thundered--pretty cool. However, when the rain came the birds disappeared.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If its raining real hard they may stay on the roost a little longer..They also seem to spend more time in the fields and open woods when its raining..I think because they have a tuff time hearing danger with the rain falling..they stay in the open and depend more on there eyesight then ears

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love my land in zone 2! alot of toms this year , got a nice jake along with my buddy Bob on opening day! 15 & 14 lbs.

the following friday I called in a 20 lb. 10" bearded gobbler!

Now I am ready to use my zone 11 tag for week C

1 - 13 of 13 Posts