New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
If the tom is with hens, he's probably going to follow the tracks down the hill to a food/water source and all the calling the world won't pull him away. So try to ambush him there behind the houses. If he's roosted alone, I would set up where it says bottom gulley and try to all him along the mountain.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Depending on the size of the roosting area..I would get right on the flat within 75 - 100 yards from where the birds are roosted..Just set up the night before and put the birds to bed. Also it wouldnt be hard to call the birds down the hill since thats where there headed anyways.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Remember, that the birds are on a winter feeding pattern and there probally heading toward the houses to hit the bird feeders..That may change come spring and the snow is gone. Esp. if there isnt suitable nesting habitat for the hens

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
set up in the late afternoon just before dark, near where you think the birds roost. What your trying to do is listen or see exactly where the birds fly up and roost for the night. That way you can get a game plan together for the morning.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Lots of times a gobbler will gobble a couple of times after he flies up to the roost. You can also try to get a shock gobble with an owl or coyote call. If your not sure where he is roosted

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
When the weather breaks and the birds start talking just stand on the road out of sight and just listen to where the birds are headed and if they continue with the same pattern when the season starts set up between where the birds have been going and the roost.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Dragthor;
If i'm not booked & you have a permit for a zone I guide in I'll help you get a Tom. And show you how to roost the toms.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thanks JerseyFJ40. Remember that I have to be 150 yards away.

What about along the brown line that intersects the turkey tracks?
Ofcourse you need to be 150... that should go without saying... it's difficult to tell distance from the map. When I said behind the houses, I meant the area up until where the hill starts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts