New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so far we have had a few really warm days. However ive been in the woods and it just feels to early for turkeys. Its cold !!!! not as much green growning either. I have a bad feeling about A Week this season.

what do you guys/gals think

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Activity has started to kick up in my area. Had a flock of 10 birds in my backyard last weekend with a couple of strutters. And I spotted three toms just the other day at the private piece where I'm probably going to be hunting. They were there this morning gobbling away. I've got G week so I'm hoping they stick around. I think A should be fine.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I'm probably not that far from you Westjerzey and after hardly seeing any this fall/winter, I'm starting to see them in the areas that I normally see them in the spring which tells me that the flocks are starting to break up if not broken up already. It never ceases to amaze me how the birds just suddenly show up after not seeing them for a long time. Just hang tight and keep up with your scouting, they'll come around. I think you'll be alright.

·
Banned
2,514 Posts
constistant flocks in zone 11 at my place. with good strutters. same as every year this time it seems for me here. 930am like always out back in the field, hens picking away and toms doin their thing. like clock work, should be a good open day for me. they are kinda hened up this early and u gota get the hens to like u. after ten am or so the toms do some searchin and thats gona be the golden time for those that have flocks with hened up toms. a nice light rainy day will bringem out to the fields lookin for worms and stuff. good luck!!!

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I'm hunting some private property as well as some state land, and have seen good sign on both spots. No actual visual sightings of the birds themselves, but plenty of sign to make me feel good about it. Although, I do see turkeys in other fields strutting around and chasing hens, so it should be good. Good luck to everyone!!

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
struttin yesterday 4 of them in the field off my wood edge opening day should pay off

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Toms are strutting but hanging together in Salem County. Staying close to the wood edge and food sources.

The longer hours of daylight will have more to do with seeking and breeding than the cold weather.

Another week or so and the insects will emerge and the birds will be cruising the open fields.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
They have not been talk much around here. Didn't hear even one this AM. Have not found a nest nest yet & that's not a good sign! I do agree the under growth isn't 1/2 what we had last opening day. Have not heard the spring peepers yet this year either

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.