New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for private land or even a good spot of public land. I'm not familiar with Zone 20. I'm open to all suggestions.

I'm hoping to bag my first TOM this year. I've been looking forward to this season since the last day of last season.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Crossgun. I'm not looking for anyone's spot. Just a point in the direction to start scouting. Can you just pull off the side of the road and hunt in Jersey?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate your well thought out reply. with that being said, I'm from out of state. This is my first year hunting in Jersey. I scout every time and I plan on scouting in Zone 20. There are over 10 WMA's to hunt. I'm just asking for a finger in the right direction. Not the middle finger. Thanks

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I appreciate your well thought out reply. with that being said, I'm from out of state. This is my first year hunting in Jersey. I scout every time and I plan on scouting in Zone 20. There are over 10 WMA's to hunt. I'm just asking for a finger in the right direction. Not the middle finger. Thanks
Bud I'm not from that part of the state. My understanding there are birds everywhere down there. Sort of the explosion we once had up north. My suggestion is to start by finding the state land in the area. Drive the roads a few mornings before the hunt, or at least one if you have that. Locate the birds by the gobbling, roost em n than go shoot em. Mid day or afternoons keep looking/listening. Shouldn't take long to find em

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I used to turkey hunt zone 20 a lot. It was pretty good 10+ years ago but has gotten very competitive. The WMA's are pounded and private land is extremely hard to get. The number of birds are down some too. I would suggest zone 21, there are more birds (I saw a few hundred of them, not exaggerating, yesterday on route 553 between route 652 and route 49 outside of Bridgeton) and bigger areas of public land. And no, I'm not trying to drive you out of zone 20, I don't turkey hunt any longer.

Don't look for TV type set-ups on public land, by that I mean fields and large open areas. You have to get in the woods, find where they are roosting and set up to call them on after fly down. If you set up in or near a field, you are going to have others on top of you, cutting off your calling, stalking your decoys if you use them, etc. Happens all the time and can be very frustrating. Spend some time scouting roosting areas now and find a few because on public land, one or more of your spots will likely be found by someone else as well.

The other thing I would suggest is after you find some roosting areas, locate area's where they go later in the morning. You can't really "run and gun" on WMA's around here because you will always be running into or over someone else. So the best thing is to hit them early on the roost, after a while if nothing is happening, move to a spot you've located they like to strut later in the morning or afternoon, if you're hunting that segment. Just remember, there are plenty of others out there trying to hunt too so be courteous.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to turkey hunt zone 20 a lot. It was pretty good 10+ years ago but has gotten very competitive. The WMA's are pounded and private land is extremely hard to get. The number of birds are down some too. I would suggest zone 21, there are more birds (I saw a few hundred of them, not exaggerating, yesterday on route 553 between route 652 and route 49 outside of Bridgeton) and bigger areas of public land. And no, I'm not trying to drive you out of zone 20, I don't turkey hunt any longer.

Don't look for TV type set-ups on public land, by that I mean fields and large open areas. You have to get in the woods, find where they are roosting and set up to call them on after fly down. If you set up in or near a field, you are going to have others on top of you, cutting off your calling, stalking your decoys if you use them, etc. Happens all the time and can be very frustrating. Spend some time scouting roosting areas now and find a few because on public land, one or more of your spots will likely be found by someone else as well.

The other thing I would suggest is after you find some roosting areas, locate area's where they go later in the morning. You can't really "run and gun" on WMA's around here because you will always be running into or over someone else. So the best thing is to hit them early on the roost, after a while if nothing is happening, move to a spot you've located they like to strut later in the morning or afternoon, if you're hunting that segment. Just remember, there are plenty of others out there trying to hunt too so be courteous.

Thank you very much! Very informative and very helpful. Sounds like the best bet in Jersey (on public land) is a ground blind and a bunch of time. After looking through all the WMA's on Google Earth I have a general location of where I want to go. I plan on driving there to check it out. A two hour scouting trip.... haha. I'll check out area 21 as well. Hopefully, they'll be some left over tags come 31 March.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts