New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
not sure, but its gaining more more each year here in NJ. I can remember when I first stared hunting 25 years ago, never saw a turkey, these days they are a dime a dozen

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Don't read to much into it. I kill my first one in Brookneal, VA at 12 and never looked back. It's a fun bird to hunt. Nothing like hearing that erie gobble in the quiet woods in the morning or that lonesome hen that surprises you really close. Ask my son(less than 3' from him, we measured the distance to the track.) He listened well and didn't move. I was looking at his eyes the whole time. I seen the spark ignite. I wouldn't trade anything for the feeling that I had that morning. A hunter was being made. You know the feeling I hope.

·
11,226 Posts
I think the lack of birds in the past has to do with it.... Now that the turkeys have made a big comeback in NJ it seems more and more people are getting into it.... Look how many new turkey hunters we have on the site.... A lot of them have hunted for years but never turkey hunted...(I'm one of them)...

I love it now though!!!! I can't wait to get back out there and try and kill my first bird!!![cool][up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I can't wait to get back out there and try and kill my first bird!!!
Me either.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
I wonder why turkey hunting in New Jersey is not that popular compared to other states.
Because the state sucess ratio averages only 16-18%,alot of hunters get frustrated and give up,
Seeing bunches of birds during deer season makes them think spring turkey is going to be a slam dunk-think again!

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
You gotta love the booming gobble and then they come and look for you. That's a hoot. We've called them in from several hundred yards away-across cut corn fields and paved roads only to meet the grim reaper. And how about those hens putt putt putt at 5 yards.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
The permit process may be a factor>

thats is a big factor, i think its a shame what you have to go thru to get a permit. new york issue you two permits a year for,i think it is four dollars and you can pratically hunt all over the state with one permit.

Franco....

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Honestly the permit process prevents a lot of people from trying. Most guys would buy one permit but then in most cases you need to take a full day off from work or several and most guys can't do that for a turkey. One or two days for deer OK but explain 5 days pay for turkey? Ain't happening. How about every saturday for 6 weeks during spring which is a very busy family/honeydoo time of year. Ain't happening. Make it like bow for 3 or 4 weeks straight and you will sell plenty of permits. Then we will shoot too many birds. What about rain- many guys won't take a day off to hunt in rain for deer and not for turkey. With 5 straight days in the spring you can count on 1-2 days of rain. It's a very limited season.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Welcome to New Greedy the state where permits run wild and that causes me to not smile! Didn't know I was a poet either did you![smirk]

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Does anyone know where u can hunt turkey in ocean county ? I have never seen or even heard one in the areas I deer hunt. If I knew where I could find them I would like to start.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
not sure, but its gaining more more each year here in NJ. I can remember when I first stared hunting 25 years ago, never saw a turkey, these days they are a dime a dozen
I agree yrs ago turkeys were hard to find and there was not even a season when I started hunting now there are a great abundance of turkeys

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
That's because in this state yo have to buy a permit in most other states it is included in the lic fee and you are not limited to only hunting the mornings or certain days.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts