New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Ill be heading into the rain. Ill be in the woods though, no fields. Haven't gotten one yet, so I'm hoping the rain changes that

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Ill be heading into the rain. Ill be in the woods though, no fields
x2, never hunted turkey in the rain,some advice from the pros would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've shot a couple in the rain. I noticed that they don't really gobble too much in the rain. They may come in silent. Me and my brother will be out in pa in the am

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Open fields....Turkeys like the open fields during rain. If there are no fields around, they will be in the mature/open woods or older growth cedars. Any where that they can see for a distance. Rain and wind take away their ability to hear danger .

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Open fields....Turkeys like the open fields during rain. If there are no fields around, they will be in the mature/open woods or older growth cedars. Any where that they can see for a distance. Rain and wind take away their ability to hear danger .
I was hoping to here your wisdom,thank you!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
killed a lot of birds in the rain, like others said they usually come in quiet. remember to put you slate call and box calls in a plastic ziplock bag untill after rain stops if you are planning on using them after the rain. you will mainley be using a mouth call unless you are huntingfrom a blind. sit tite on the fields, like gg siad they feel safer in the open when it rains and also they dry out quicker when it stops. good luck

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Don't call to much.. If you do call stay put longer, cuz gobblers will come in silent.
excellent that's what gobblegetter said the other day,big rookie mistake is over calling,i had birds all around me and in view to 60 yds and I didn't shut up,lol and they strolled off.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Why do the birds like the fields when it rains??

·
Registered
768 Posts
Why do the birds like the fields when it rains??
I think it has to do with a few reasons. One thing I heard a while ago is they don't like to drag their tail feathers in wet leaves.
also the sound of the rain hitting the wet leaves will throw off their hearing ability in the woods and they don't like that. And they can see for farther distances in fog and rainy conditions in an open field as opposed to in the woods.

·
Registered
768 Posts
There's always next week. At least you stuck it out. By us the rain broke a little bit around 10 and the sun came out and had 2 different birds gobbling. They came to about 50 yards behind us back in the woods behind the field and never came any closer. Still was a good hunt in my book.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
I shot and he left me some feather's as he flew away. [cry]

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After reading these posts all week and seeing everyone else's birds, I have turkey fever. Tomorrow is my last day in Ringwood. Heading into Cupsaw section of Ringwood State Park. I need to score a bird by 10am. I have a home inspection at 11.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts