New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is the story. I have been hunting this spot for the last 4 weeks without seeing a bird. Early during the season there were birds every where then they just vanished. I have not even heard a gobble in 4 weeks but I was seeijg tracks and knew the birds were there. Last night I went out and spent the last hour before dark listening for birds and I finally heard a bird. I moved in closer without calling and came upon several birds and a nice Tom so I backed off and came back in the morning. This morning I got in position at 4:30 and waited until light. I did not hear the birds so I made my first call at around 5:30. No response. 5 minutes later the geese came off the lake with their normal chatter and I heard a gobbler answer that sounded pretty close. After another few minutes I had three hens come in and circle my decoys but no toms. After about an hour of the hens walking all around me I had a jake come in but did not take the shot. The hens were making so much noise I knew sooner or later the tom I see would come aroung. At about 7:30 I the spotted the Tom coming towards my decoys and not the real hens. This guy stayed behing a tree for about 15 minutes until my arms started to hurt from holding the gun up and finally he stepped out 15 yards heading right for my hen decoy and thats all she wrote. One quick shot and success was mine for the day. I checked him in a Sportsman Center in Bordentown. He had a 9" beard, 1 1/8 spurs and weight was just over 20LBS. Took the bird to bushnlo's house and it was ground meat before noon. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.