New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This story starts off yesterday evening when I desided to go and set up my pop-up blind because of the predicted weather. I get to my spot and find a pop-up set in my spot. I get on the phone and find out whoe's it is (he heard me tell another club member that is where I was going to set and desided to make it his spot)So now I'm off to my second choice and set up the blind. I get out this mourning and head in at 5:30 the other guy still hadn't arrived yet[mad] I was tempted to go sit in his blind but went to mine instead. At 6:45 I had 3 hens come through at 7:30 three deer. At 7:45 I desided to work the slate but with the wind it wasn't working so I broke out the box call. A quick cut and a few yelps and I hear a bird gobble back in behind me, another couple yelps and another gobble this time close so I put the call down and wait. 1/2 hour goes by and nothing i waited another 15 minutes and yelped again and I get a gobble but his time farther away. I hit the box again and another gobble this time much closer. hit it once more and he gobble back behind me and close. the clearing I'm in is thick brush behind me so he has to come either to my left or right . I opened another window on the blind and here he is in half stut coming fast. He sees my decoys and goes into full strut but is in a dip in the ground where I can see only his head and top of the fan. He comes out of the dip and gobbled once more and that is where the #4 heavy shot at 22 yrds anchored him. This was my first time out in NJ Turkey hunting and my first Spring bird. He weighed just under 20lb had a 9.5" beard and 1" hooks. If I set in the original spot I would not have got him.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Congrats! Things like that happen for a reason and getting bumped from your original location worked out for you!

I got bumped from a hunting spot some 5 years ago and had to improvise at like 5:30AM. I set up about 200 yards farther down a trail Low and behold, he comes a nice 8 pointer. Bam! Morning over by 7:10AM. Longer drag than I wanted to make, but well worth it and my frustations were forgotten.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.